Blue Perch

sandybay

Its funny you should post this. I've heard of "blue" perche before, and when we started catching the odd few in Nip people around us said when the perch where that colour that they were sick or had some kind of parasite.

I just laughed and then ate him. lol

Its funny you should post this. I've heard of "blue" perche before, and when we started catching the odd few in Nip people around us said when the perch where that colour that they were sick or had some kind of parasite.

I just laughed and then ate him. lol

I hope you meant you ate the perch and not the guy. LOL :lol:

It was our group of 5 that caught those blue perch. We fished at Sandybay from Feb 1-4. We have caught the odd one over the years, but our group landed 5 of these blue perch on our trip. That's probably due to the fact that we caughtbetween 450-500 perch over the 4 days. We threw back about 125-150 smaller ones. We ate about 180 perch over the 4 days, and took home about 100 jumbos that were between 10-12 inches. We also had a couple of nice packages of filleted perch for my son to take home. [he is from Orlando Florida] We also caught 5 small walleyes, 2 ling, 5 herring, 1-26" pike and a 4 pound whitefish. We fished in 45 feet of water, and found that the perch were quite a bit bigger in the deeper water. Thanks to Jeff for providing everthing to make our trip a success and lots of fun.

Nah, these were black backed, golden side typical northern ontario walleye with blue highlights, lol... There is a lake on Manitoulin that still has some 'blue' pickerel and pike if I'm not mistaken...

I've never heard of blue perch either, pretty cool.

Here's a couple close up shots of the fins on the walleye Bill and I caught last summer, plus a shot of a fish to show their overall colour.

Anjigaming2009074.jpg

Anjigaming074.jpg

Anjigaming2009144.jpg

It was our group of 5 that caught those blue perch. We fished at Sandybay from Feb 1-4. We have caught the odd one over the years, but our group landed 5 of these blue perch on our trip. That's probably due to the fact that we caughtbetween 450-500 perch over the 4 days. We threw back about 125-150 smaller ones. We ate about 180 perch over the 4 days, and took home about 100 jumbos that were between 10-12 inches. We also had a couple of nice packages of filleted perch for my son to take home. [he is from Orlando Florida] We also caught 5 small walleyes, 2 ling, 5 herring, 1-26" pike and a 4 pound whitefish. We fished in 45 feet of water, and found that the perch were quite a bit bigger in the deeper water. Thanks to Jeff for providing everthing to make our trip a success and lots of fun.

We are booked to go to sandybay in 2 weeks I hope the fishing is the same. We have been going to Jeff's for awhile now and he does know how to put you on the fish, love the big huts to. What did you catch them on? Is there any hot lure.

Thanks

we caught a few jigging with a small lure,but the bulk of our fish were caught on pinhead minnows. Still lineswith splitshot and minnows worked the best. The last day we were there the bite was very finicky and separated the rookies from the experienced fisherman. Good Luck. Say hello to Jeff from us.