first time bass tournement angling

johnston1010

take a look at the hamilton bassmasters as well. we will be holding many tourneys this season, its a great way to get ur feet wet and learn a great deal about bass fishing. (plus u get to ride in some really cool boats! lol) we meet the 2nd tuesday of each month, so next tuesday, feb 9th we will be meeting. dimaggios italian eatery on upper ottawa st in hamilton. between rymal rd and stone church rd. any info u need, please PM me and ill answer anythin u need to know.

take a look at the hamilton bassmasters as well. we will be holding many tourneys this season, its a great way to get ur feet wet and learn a great deal about bass fishing. (plus u get to ride in some really cool boats! lol) we meet the 2nd tuesday of each month, so next tuesday, feb 9th we will be meeting. dimaggios italian eatery on upper ottawa st in hamilton. between rymal rd and stone church rd. any info u need, please PM me and ill answer anythin u need to know.

do they fish on the great lakes

i am a member of the hamilton bassmasters, VP of the club actually... and will be joining the CBAF as well. lakes we will be fishing are lake erie, long point bay, pigeon lake, balsam, seymour, rice to name a few. the cbaf will fish many of the same waters as us.

as said, u dont need a boat, u can fish as a co-angler. and i promise u, u will learn a ton fishing with the guys in either club. take a look at them, u wont be disappointed.

we will have Jarrod Dean as a guest speaker at our next meeting that i mentioned, and JP Derose is the speaker at the CBAF meeting i believe, this month.

A club circuit is definitely a great route to go for just starting into Tournies. The CBAF and Baamasters clubs are both great choices. i am a member of the CBAF. Look at the CSFL website which also has a pro am format events. There is an awesome one in Kingston this year that is taking waiting list applications as the event is full as of now but you never know.

Before you do anything attend a club level meeting, either of the ones mentioned above. Join as a non-boater, you can fish clubbie tournaments and learn the ropes for minimal costs. You can even use some of the Boaters gear(most guys don't care and offer it up) as we all started somehwere.

Edited by Harrison

Bass from Dundas, starting this year in the CBAF there is also going to be a youth division qualifying tournament for anglers aged 11-14 & 15-18. One from each division will get to travel down to the states to compete down there in conjunction with one of the big FLW Tour events which is pretty cool. There is also a club at Conestoga college and many more are popping up at post-secondary institutions across Ontario which also provides more opportunities for young anglers to get involved and for colleges and universities to compete against each other too which is always a fun rivalry and I really wish something like that was around during the 7 years it took me to get a 4 year degree... lol

Anyways you young guys/gals are the future of the sport so it's something a lot of the more experienced (kind word for grey-haired) club guys are willing to give some time for. The Golden Horseshoe (Hamilton) chapter is providing boaters for the Conestoga college club's events for example - I'll probably be there too as it sounds like fun. Give Rick Weatherill, [email protected] a shout and he will point you in the right direction I'm sure. As a youth member you are eligible to fish the youth event and all the regular events as well. There's I think over 80 events to choose from this season based on the 9 clubs across Ontario. As a CBAF member of any club, you are eligible to fish in any of the other club's events so it really provides a flexible schedule and tremendous number of opportunities - it's like one big giant club. Rick can give you the full schedule and all the details.

If you need more information on a Local Bassmasters club that would be the best. Let me know if you need more information shoot me a PM. Would love to get you involved in competitive fishing. The way it works is you would be teamed up with a boater and never the same boater twice. It's a great learning experience, thats how i got started.

What kind of gear would you suggest it a must for someone getting in to some fishing tournement? Besised all the lures/baits, what is a must have? Do you need alot of rods?

u dont need a ton of gear. a soft tackle bag that can hold as many boxes as u can fit in it to carry ur terminal tackle-hooks, weights, and so on. one or 2 for ur plastics, tubes, senkos, etc. another for some crankbaits, one for spinners and topwaters, jerkbaits and jigs.

polorized sunglasses to spot fish and cover, and protect ur eyes.

a good rainsuit is invaluable!!

having a few rods pre-rigged can save time when ur on the water. but u dont need 10 different rods. space is limited so u wanna take up the least amount of space u can with ur tackle bag and rods. 4-6 rods will do u fine.

experience will help u prepare for a tourney. for example, if ur fishing for smallies, u dont need to worry about topwaters as mush(although they are a great way to catch them) but ur typically fishing deeper, so flipping sticks and that can be left home. u need tubes, dropshot, jerbaits... that would cover ur day of fishing.

hope this helps ya out a bit.

If you had to pick two I would go with the following:

6'6" - 7'2" Medium Heavy spinning rod with Fast action - Rated 6-15 or 8-17 lb. Spooled up with 20 lb braid. That will cover tubes, senkos, jerkbaits, even some smaller hard baits

6'9" - 7'2" Medium Heavy Baitcasting combo with fast action - Rated 10-20 lb. Spooled up with 50 lb braid. That will cover flipping, frogging and other cover fishing.

Eventually you may want to get more specialized rods and set ups for spinnerbaits, drop shot, jerkbaits etc.. but these two rods would be very usable in most conditions and would be the two I would be happiest to see a non boater with who jumped in with me for the day.

When thinking about tackle, you can always talk to your partner for the event and plan what you will be doing. Try to be conscious of the fact that space in some boats is at a premium and 9 times out of 10 a big soft sided bag will not fit in a compartment which means it will be on the floor in front of you. 3 trays for hard baits and terminal tackle and a dozen or so bags of tubes and senkos will be perfect.

The mid sized soft tackle storage bags are best for fitting almost anywhere... not the ones that hold 5 - 3700 size Plano trays.

Good luck with your search.

JP

where are you from? CBAF has chapters all across ontario. If I had it to do all over again before i started fishing tournies I would have for sure joined a club and fished as a non boater for a few years. Great way way to learn things and an even better way to meet some great fisherman.

where are you from? CBAF has chapters all across ontario. If I had it to do all over again before i started fishing tournies I would have for sure joined a club and fished as a non boater for a few years. Great way way to learn things and an even better way to meet some great fisherman.

I'm from Dundas it's right near McMaster