Counter tops....granite vs quartz

lew

Lew, some points to consider:

They both have maintenance issues and strength issues. This is more of a comparison so you can weigh in on the differences.

First off, strength is not an issue, if you manage to break off a piece of either, you are doing something you shouldnt be doing in your kitchen. That being said, if you break Granite, you are outta luck. If you break Quartz, it can be repaired, they can for a price, fix any broken piece.

Granite will stain. If you spill wine, mustard or any other substance that will stain and leave it, it will be absorbed into the veining and it is very very very hard to get out. Quartz will not stain due to the finish on the surface, but there have been cases where it does end up staining (the epoxy stains)

You can put any hot object directly on Granite with no ill effect. If you place a hot pot on Quartz, the epoxy can and will heat up and cause discoloration and an uneven finish.

Granite does need to be sealed, but Olive oil will do the trick, all you have to do is rub it on (they dont tell you that because they want to sell the products they carry)

ALL manufactures of Quartz (Silestone, hanstone, ceasarstone) are the EXACT same product. They all come from the same distributors. The one in Canada is out of Montreal. Dont let someone tell you that one product is better than the other, they are identical. If you dont believe me, find an honest Granite supplier and they will give you that knowledge. If you want, PM me and I will tell you the company that distributes and manufactures it.

Consider sizing in your kitchen (Quartz usually comes in larger slabs). Both slabs are manufactured for specific max sizes. If you have an oversized island, you may have seams. Make sure if you have a joint in your counter (ie corners) they dont just put a standard Mitre joint or butt joint. Make sure they use a birds mouth into a mitre. you will get a much tighter seam.

Cutting on either surface can cause chips or scratches. The Natural fissures in granite make small chips less evident where as Quartz tends to show more. Solution, use a cutting board. Many people will say one or the other wont scratch or chip. They are wrong. You shoudlnt cut on either.

You will pay a premium for certain colors of Granite. Usually suppliers group them into levels or groups. There should not be more than 3 Levels in the worst case scenario. Companies like Home Depot usually have 5 levels. Its a money grab. Granite colors in higher groups are usually Black Galaxy and Antique Brown. They group them by supply, demand, stock levels and world levels. Make sure you look at each surface in the lighting you have in your kitchen. Under the right lighting styles, these 2 and others look incredible. Ask to see them in different lighting scenes.

Corian is/was a nice product. It has become more of a Bathroom product recently with the price reduction in Stone surfaces. It does scratch a lot easier than both the stone products, but can be buffed out if damaged. Its more of a dated product now and the price point, even though lower than Granite or Quartz is still high for what the product offers. Also, Corian can be either polished or honed, both stone should be polished.

Other considerations can be Soapstone, Sandstone and Marble. All very soft and porous. All require slightly more maintenance.

It all comes down to preference, the price points of Granite and Quartz SHOULD be the same but 90% of retailers will sell Quartz at a higher price. They cost the same to the suppliers most of the time, depending on their buying power. Shop around to see who gives you the best price.

I do not work for a counter company but deal with solid surface companies every day both in Toronto and Ottawa. Granite and Quartz both have advantages and disadvantages. In the end go with what your eye tells you. Make sure you do a Slab view if possible as well.

PM me and I can give you a few names of larger suppliers in the GTA that should be able to provide a price. Dont let the increase in price get the best of you from Granite to Quartz. $70/SF is typical retail, you may be able to talk them down. Quartz at $95 is high.

Hopefully this helps out a little

Mike

Edited by MuskyMike

Hey Lew

As you know I am a plumber so I install quite a few countertops and get to see them a few years later as I visit the houses for other plumbing issues. I am not against natural stones but I have found if you can find a pattern you like in the solid Dupont materials then they have my vote hands down. The weight of the natural stones sometimes means the cabinets need to be reinforced (not a big deal but something to ask the installer about). Islands that have overhangs so you can put a chair under are not well supported and will find any pressure cracks in natural stone. The corners on stone unless rounded are tough on the hips when you run into them. While Corian is not any softer the ability to work an edge is easier and cheaper. The seams are the weakest point in naturals and are dictated by the size of the stone but also the weight of the stone so you will have more exposed joints in the project. The solid surfaces Dupont use the same resin they are made of to make the joints so you have no visible lines and they are as strong as the top. Any of your average damage that is done with a knife cut or other can usually be sanded/buffed out the damage to stone is permanent unless you have it professionally buffed out. The ability of naturals and Corian to resist damage is greater than the effort it takes to damage the laminate tops.

Hope this all helps and good luck on your choices.

Art

Just a shameless plug for a friend of mine but they do excellent work, if you looking for place's it might be worth a try.

The Old Barn

Address : 173480 Mulock Rd (At Hwy 4), Durham, ON N4N 3B9

Telephone : 519-369-1710

Category :Counter Tops,Granite

Directory :Walkerton

Brief Description :

POLISHED STONE CREATIONS

GRANITE COUNTER TOPS

BETWEEN DURHAM & HANOVER

So many choices!

Marble stains really easy! It is also softer than solid surface and granite,

Many different and honest answers have been posted. I'm still doing custom kitchens, and I learned more information from the great posts here.

We never stop learning...

Good luck with your decision.

It all comes down to the educated consumer.....

Being a cabinetmaker for 12 years I've dealt with both but would have to say granite would be my preference...although it does stain a little easier (by the way both need sealing) it is a bit cheaper but there is a lot more vein and grain patten to it which I like...But there is another route have you considered corian?? Cheaper for sure will outlast both in the maintenance and has countless patterns available...you can get a stone pattern that looks just like granite in many colors....great look,high durability, lower cost...heres a pretty cool design link I found check it out if you like...

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/prod...rian/index.html

click on the design my kitchen link on bottom right of page

I agree.....