NF renting a car in canada

pike slayer

So a gf of mine and i are talking about taking a trip to bc to visit her long lost brother(lonnng story there) and she wants me to go with her. we are gonna fly out then want to rent a car. im 22 shes 21. ive heard rumors where you have to be 25years plus to rent a car. fact or fiction?? if false what is the deal and what company do you recommend i rent from??

Hey,

Being under 25 is definitely a factor. Some companies don't rent or will charge an additional fee. Also make sure your current car insurance covers you for rental cars and out of province as often times the rental companies will charge and insurance that is almost as much as the daily rental price.

When my wife (g/f at the time) and I went to New Brunswick for a week when we around 23 we used rent a wreck. They rent used cars, we saved a bundle of money, got over 1000kms for a week and they actually rented to us without all the extra charges and hassles.

I don't know what their distribution is like out west though.

I was in Ontario for the Christmas break and rented from Enterprise, unlimited mileage if I stayed within Ontario.

I racked up nearly 3000 kms over the 2 weeks I was there. :D

Not sure about the under 25 thing, give them a call.

Certain credit cards cover your insurance if you don't have coverage through your carrier.

done this many times...

under 25, expect to pay a fee. i haven't heard of any of the big-player companies saying that they won't rent to under-25 at all. also, things may differ province-to-province, so keep that in mind...

not sure when you're planning to go, but having a platinum visa is nice for the provided accident coverage. if you don't have an insurance policy that will insure you in this regard, you may want to look into a visa that has this feature. I *believe* there are some such visas that do not charge an annual fee, as well.

lastly, never book anything online without checking for a coupon... retailmenot.com, or simply google-searching "avis coupon" should churn up some results. as an aside, this goes for any online purchase... you'd be surprised how much $ you can save just by taking that extra couple of minutes and searching up a 20% off coupon :-)

I used to work for enterprise for a couple of years and although it wasn't directly with customers I did learn that the rental fees and total deductable insurance are NEGOTIALBLE!!! Just say its to much and you can get a better rate..Now this depends on time and location and this can vary from area to area branch to branch but it dosn't hurt to push a few buttons.

vance