Tent Trailer recomendations

atvaholic

Hi, I've never owned one before, but looking to buy one. To sleep me, the wife and 2 little ones for some summer fishing trips. Looking on kijiji and they're out there for $500 - $9000.

Not sure what to look for, maybe someone can offer some guidance...dont want to spend a bundle but dont want complete crap..

Wondering if i'd get a better deal now or wait a bit longer..

Edited by atvaholic

I've seen some that are old in great condition and newer ones that are ready to be recanvassed ....Big thing here is to check the covering material extremely well ...check the stitching at all zippers and stress areas ...don't be afraid to ask if it was used or setup for just a couple of weeks a yr or whether it was setup all summer ....longer periods of course give you some idea of the remaining life of the canvass or covering material ....get what you can afford if you can afford the 10-12' box get it you will not regret it. How does it setup? Some are electric some are crank ...have the cables ever been replaced or serviced. Is there a outside propane connection ? This usually allows you to move the stove or connect a outside grill to the tanks on board. How was it stored in winter indoors or outside?

The list goes on and on ...tires, berrings last replaced, if electric brakes ...last time serviced ...and of course then there are all the creature comforts ...fridge or ice box ....onboard water...furnace ? etc etc ...Just don't rush into anything look around there are some nice trailers out there for good prices it just takes time to find them. Make sure you see them completely setup and look them over throughly before you make an offer to purchase and of course never offer the asking price ....you can usually find most people that are selling privately have lots of room to deal as either they are getting out of camping all together or they have or are moving on up and need to get rid of the older trailer ...good luck.

Oh yeah one other thing ....get the weight and tongue weight to confirm you towing vehicle has the ability to tow the trailer ....there is quite a difference from some brands to others in this area ...seems that the Coleman and Starcraft trailers are quite alot heavier than some of the others if my memory serves me right.

Suds

Edited by Sudsmaster

Spend what you can afford and try to buy the cleanest looking one you can find. Make sure everything works and the canvas is in good shape. You'll get a better deal now that it's not camping season, another month or 2 and they will be selling really quick. Make sure you check everywhere for mould and mildew. If it smells musty then say no thanks.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the info!

Now, I know you can use an electric heater, but in some places I plan to go, there is no power. If the trailer does not have a heater, can a propane one be added safely? I worry about the kids tripping over it at night..

Edited by atvaholic

Thanks for all the info!

Now, I know you can use an electric heater, but in some places I plan to go, there is no power. If the trailer does not have a heater, can a propane one be added safely? I worry about the kids tripping over it at night..

Get yourself a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy heater, runs on propane and has low oxygen and tip over shut off for safety.

Buddy Heaters

I agree , buy what you can afford, shop and look for a bargain because some can get very costly to the point that you can get a full size trailer with a shower and full kitchen with furnace for the cost of some of those tent trailers.. I really wanted a shower for the kids cause camp was soo sandy they'd be really dirty..lol and a bigger trailer serves very well if you get caught in a rain storm, buy a gen set and your good to go, put a movie on and the kids are happy.

shower and toilet is the problem with tent trailers.

Thanks for all the info!

Many styles of Tent trailer have a propane heater built in, and a 'fridge that runs off propane.

I would be very leery using a portable heater INSIDE a trailer.

A 10' box would be a minimum for a family of four. As mentioned Hitch weight has to be considered, my trailer has 241lbs weight, which is close to my Maximum, so I load the trailer with heavy stuff either above the axle or behind it.

My personal choice would be to buy new, any problems get fixed under warranty.If you dont like the trailer, they hold their prices pretty good for selling or trading back in.

Thanks all! I went to look at a few used today. The good ones seem to be priced pretty high. Im going to look at a new or "newer" one to compare. The ones that were cheap were kind of scary. Canvas was garbage and/or the body had holes/damage. The decent ones seem to be 3000 for something half decent.

I think the Hamilton RV show is coming up. You may want to go down and take a look at the new units to get some ideas as to what you want and should be looking for. The dealers there will probably have some used units for sale as well and that way you'll get a warranty.