Balsam Lake

chrispyke

Me and the boy went fishing Saturday night and early Sunday morning. On live bait in summer, I seem to catch a lot more perch than walleye. In winter it is the opposite. We caguht 8 good sized perch this am all around sun rise...not much after. Saturday night was the all walleye show....all live released in the hole...no harm done. Over the two days about 6 hours of fishing total we had 8 perch and 8 walleye..lost some others as well. I'm actually not complaining about it all..it's just different...yet to see a crappie, pike, sunfish, rock bass etc....I actually love going out to fish with my little guy :D

I've fished from the same spot in about 8' of water pink jig tipped with a live small shiner..6lb ice line. I'm sure if I drilled a couple of more holes into the shallower weedbed, may do better with the perch. Just like the comfort of my hut and the results aren't horrible.

Balsam doesn't seem to have very much pressure...the local cottagers look at you like you came from the moon! Drove out to the end of long point and saw only 1 other hut in South Bay. Are people not interested in fishing some Kawartha lakes for Pan fish ? Didn't drive around into west bay or up into north bay as the ice had a big pressure crack at the end of long point.

How are others doing on Balsam ? Anyone with different results ?

The excitement for the boy is what it's all about for me !

BL

Great report and pics...yes, the young lad looks happy and as Ron says, that pic's a framer.

How long has it been that pike have taken a foothold on Balsam?

I went to an ice fishing Seminar late last year at Radio world and the MNR biologist for the Kawartha Lakes was there giving a presentation about the new regs. He told us Pike are in Balsam for a few years but not a huge population as yet. I've heard of them being caught and have caught a few tiger muskies, but have yet to see a pike come out of that lake...hoping to catch one through the ice :)

BL

decided to put the hurt on pike in Balsam and targetted pike specifically in the fall for a few trips... managed to remove about a dozen

they ARE there !!!!!!!!!

I've heard others tell me the same as you...with most of the caught in either West Bay or North Bay close to the entrance/exit of the Trent. Have you caught any in South Bay by chance ?

BL