Nascar in Michigan NF

suds

Greetings Fish/Race Fans,

A buddy and I are thinking of going to the Michigan race in June. We have never been to an event and I have noticed there are some race fans on here, so I was hoping to benefit from your experience. Couple questions;

Is it better to book one of the packages or is it workable to get tickets and grab your own hotel?

Is it possible to drive yourself to the track or is it a total gong show to do that?

Any practical advice or experience gratefully accepted.

Cheers

suds

Four of went in a small motorhome couple years ago.

Bought the tickets ahead of time and booked a spot in the campground.

There were "trains" taking folks to the track running steady.

We arrived late on the Friday 11PM and left early on Monday 4AM so traffic wasn't an issue at all.

We had a great time. People in the campground were all friendly and no fighting.

Try to get your tickets early in the main grandstand about 20 rows up is ideal, may be hard to get them there though.

We had great tickets for the Nationwide but the ones for the Sprint were in turn 4 front row. We thought we would like to get close to the action. We did, and it was great, but it limited view to the rest of the track.

I went in August to the Michigan race.

We drove to Windsor Saturday night and spent the night, crossed the border early sunday morning ,shopped for some food on the way to the track and were there by 11:00 am.

After the race we BBQ up some sausages took our time and left about 630 or so and drove home. Worst part was the border line up, expect delays of an hour or so as you wont be the only canadian coming back from the race with everyone else who is crossing.

As far as staying down there, you can camp or RV. Motels will be expensive as they jack the prices up big time on race weekends.

We went down for the August races for 6 years in a row but have not been in a few years, and not to the June race. If you are still lucky enough to get tickets and book somewhere, I would go that route. We stayed in Ann Arbour, Mi at the Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn..different one each year..not sure what the rates are now but it used to be not so bad. If you do stay there be sure to leave around 6am to get to the track. Once you get parked you can relax and check out the vendors across the road(or go back to sleep!) but waiting in line miles from the track really sucks! Take a portable barbq and enjoy tailgating afterwards as well..the first year we went we tried to leave right away,,what a mistake that was. So after that we just relaxed with everyone else and left an hour or so later if you are in no rush and stay the Sunday night as well...

Have fun, it's a great experience for sure!

well, i dont have the first hand experiance but my uncle is a die hard race fan. goes to the local tracks for every race no matter what vehicle it is. he went to michigan 2 years in a row now and is heading on his 3rd. it got rained out for him his first year in june, so he booked tickets for the august race the next year. He just gets his tickets for him and his wife, gets a hotel (I have no clue where) and eats at a few retaurants. yes it is possbile to drive to the track, i dont know how long it takes from one of the hotels though. he has fun every year, and comes back with a few things each time. he doesnt have the most cash so i'm pretty sure this race is an affordable one.

And thats about all i have to say. whatever race you decide to go to, have fun!

Im with fishhunter on this one, ive been to a few, and this was by far the least exciting. Bristol is my favorite, and then probably richmond raceway. i had a good time, but it didnt have anything to do with the race, Bristol will spoil a lotta race tracks though.

jason

Been to Bristol too Jason. Awesome place to watch a race.

But it is a long way for us northern boys to travel and although the Michigan track isn't ideal it still is an awful lot of fun.

When you think of it most of the time spent on the weekend is doing other things rather than watching the race.

It's time spent with friends that you enjoy spending your time with.

To me the race is somewhat secondary.

Been to Bristol too Jason. Awesome place to watch a race.

But it is a long way for us northern boys to travel and although the Michigan track isn't ideal it still is an awful lot of fun.

When you think of it most of the time spent on the weekend is doing other things rather than watching the race.

It's time spent with friends that you enjoy spending your time with.

To me the race is somewhat secondary.

Great advice Bernie. I think of my annual trip to Kansas as a 4 day party that ends with a race.

I dont think there will be any rooms left but there are some of hotels around Dundee MI that is where Cabalas is.

The wife and I went a few years ago it was a blast we did the day trip from Chatham about 2 hours away were home by 11pm or so but we did not try and rush out of the place you can bring a BBQ and buy some hot dogs or what ever over there before you get to the track when the race is over let the others race out let them fight down the stairs then take your time getting to the car set up the BBQ eat supper enjoy the time people will be stopping by and dont for get to RAZZ the GORDON fans :P .

We were in turn 1 and noticed that behind turn 1 and 2 was the chopper pad where alot of the drivers fly in and out of the race we did get over there but missed Rust and alot of other drivers so if you want to see some drivers head over there right after the race I guess some were signing autographs.

We also missed out on the haulers as we had pit road passes and spent all our time there from 8am until noon when they closed pit road if we had known about the haulers around back of turn 4 we would have headed there to do some shopping I guess some drivers were out there to meet the fans.

Also they rent seat backs they are great and worth the $7 or what ever it was back then.

I love turn 1 for races we were right at pit road exit and had a great time Dale jarett won the race and we had a die hard fan next to us it was a great time for sure heck we were thinking of heading there again this year for the day not sure if it will happen or for what race but will have to wait and see.

Have a blast and dont for get to share some pics when you get home.

Guys,

Thanks for the terrific feedback. We were looking at the Michigan race for geography and timing reasons mainly. I will share this with my buddy. He is not as "scottish" as I and was leaning for the full 3 day package with the trucks and the junior circuit race. Any thoughts on Pocono or Upstate NY?

Man this site rocks, much appreciated

cheers

Ive been to the june race....if your camping with a trailer, jupiter hills campground is a great spot to stay....A lot of stuff going on. A guy even brings a mechanical bull for people to ride...

Michigans track is boring.....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve been to the last 2 Aug. races.... We camp at Brookfest acres... Fun Fun Fun..... We have tickets for the Sat race right on the start finish line and for Sundays race we are in turn 3.... Bring lots of sunscreen... Sitting in the stands is like sitting in a pie plate with all the aluminum benches.... It is a kind of boring race but the camping is AWESOME... People are super friendly... have fun