Boat launch could generate $50,000 for town

Spiel

Boat launch could generate $50,000 for town

Jan 14, 2010

Nicole Million / www.midlandmirror.com

MIDLAND – Midland councillors are split on whether to start charging user fees for the boat launch at Pete Pettersen Park.

The existing system allows residents to use the launch and park in the lot for free. Non-residents can launch their boats at no charge, but are required to park elsewhere.

In a report to council, Bryan Peter, director of parks and recreation, pointed out other systems have been tried over the years, but none has been completely satisfactory.

Fees for residents being recommended by staff for the 2010 season include $15 for a daily pass, $20 for a weekend pass, $35 for a weekly pass, $90 for a season pass and $350 for a commercial pass.

Non-residents would be required to pay $18, $24, $45 and $115, respectively.

Peter cited a five-year, $600,000 plan to expand and improve the parking and road system at the park, which is located off Sunnyside Drive. He suggested fee revenues could be put into a reserve to help fund the “long overdue” project.

“With over 500 stickers issued in 2009 to Midland residents, we estimate $40,000 to $50,000 could be generated annually,” he noted. “The municipal boat launch is one of the few services provided that does not have a user fee.”

This isn’t the first time such a recommendation has come before council, noted Mayor Jim Downer, as council debated the issue at its Jan. 11 general committee meeting.

“I will not support fees for residents using the boat ramp,” he said. “I get (the need) for fees, but a lot of people can’t afford to pay. I would hate to see us start to charge residents. I think it’s a mistake.”

Coun. Bob Jeffery pointed to past failed attempts to implement similar fees.

“When we first did this in the ’90s, out-of-towners (hogged) the lots,” he said. “The big problem is going to be parking. I don’t want to charge residents for parking or launching.”

Coun. Pat File disagreed, noting the town charges people to park in many other sites around the municipality.

“We charge to park downtown, we (charge for) permits … so I think this is perfectly reasonable,” she said.

Coun. Zena Pendlebury added, “We ask people to pay for whatever they use. User fees are nothing new. It’s going to cost big bucks to do the work, and the money has to come from somewhere. I don’t see it as unreasonable.”

Downer countered user fees could put access to the bay out of reach for many residents.

“I am trying to preserve the only spot that’s affordable for anyone to come and launch their boat and take their kids fishing,” he said.

Council has asked staff to report on several different scenarios before making a final decision.

I wrote a letter to the editor about this. What a crock of crap. I may or may not have been having a few beers when I wrote. When my wife came home I talked to her about it and showed her my email to the editor.....

She looked at me and said, "You're an idiot, they won't publish that".

She went to bed.

I laughed.

I cracked open another beer and smiled. :D