Muskie Nets

Jason Vernooy

Just checking......maybe someone along the way has steered me wrong....but I was told that nets and muskie don't mix. The slime layer is removed by nets. Here i have been absolutely terrified at boat side as I land these monsters. A buddy of mine put a hook in my head....and I surely dont want one in the head. I have used a cradle in the past but even that is difficult. Any suggestions on netting procedures

Thanks

V

Just checking......maybe someone along the way has steered me wrong....but I was told that nets and muskie don't mix. The slime layer is removed by nets. Here i have been absolutely terrified at boat side as I land these monsters. A buddy of mine put a hook in my head....and I surely dont want one in the head. I have used a cradle in the past but even that is difficult. Any suggestions on netting procedures

Thanks

V

Use a large, pen-style net. This type of net allows you to keep the fish in the water, reducing harm to you and the fish. Frabill, Beckman and Stowmaster all make nets for this purpose.

A good quality Muskie-friendly net is the way to go! As Raf said, Beckman, Frabil and Stowmaster all make good quality Muskie nets. The openings in the mesh are small so as not to split fins, and its coated with a non-abbrasive nylon to prevent slime removal and minimize fish damage. They are big enough to allow the fish to remain in the water once netted, basically a big holding pen. The important thing with Muskie(or any fish) is to minimize out-of-water time. Mini-bolt cutters, jaw spreaders and long nose pliers are a must as well!

075981.jpg

111553.JPG

073125.jpg

Edited by Pigeontroller

I have a Fabill Big Game. The net is large enough for the fish I target and make a nice holding pen. I also keep the net down in the water for the unhooking. Lift out, quick pic if needed, then release. At least for those I have caught, there is extra space in the net to allow some movement by the fish. I'd think, if the night was around the fish so tight as to restrict movement, any movement of the fish could cause extra 'slime' to be removed. The extra room in the larger nets may reduce the loss. Just a thought

the Beckman Finsaver Pen Net is what I am after for this season. I think I will be getting a cradel for them fish that just take a long time to revive and measure I liked the ay it was used by Marc on the day of the giants show it made me look at them in a whole new light I was always afraid of getting the hook in the head again and did not think of using them for a release tool.

As most mentioned,nets are what is safest for both angler and fish

It also allows fish to remain in the water during hook removal process,where they can breath.Remember to allow some rest time after removing the hooks for both fish and angler before proceeding to capturing your memory

Use a craddle during mesurement or a float stick in the water

Keeping the fish as much as possible in the water during hook removal,measuring process

It will lead to and possibly less stressed and more succcessfull release

here's a bit of read you sift through for process and eleborate sequences of events during the landing and release process

http://www.marcthorpeguiding.com/Catch_Release.php

http://www.thenextbite.com/site/tip.cfm?ow...607D862E41BED43

http://www.thenextbite.com/site/tip.cfm?ow...E25784A3CC7E21D

Guest Trophymuskie

Actually Jason you were told correctly about nets not been good for muskies. That is your everyday net not the rubber coated nets that are available on the market theses days. I use a Frabill big kahuna and it keeps the fish wet and does not remove any slime, it may split a fin now and again but that's the extend of the damage from proper muskie nets.

Muskie will go right through those cheep green mesh nets.