Shining Tree vs. Elk Lake (Montreal River)

Golfisher

For weeks, I've been oscillating between West Shining Tree Lake (in Shining Tree) and the Montreal River (between New Liskeard and Elk Lake) for my fishing trip this May, but for the life of me I can't decide. :wallbash: They both look great, but I haven't been to either place. I'm hoping some of you have been to one or both of these places and can offer some thoughts on your experience. I'm planning to arrive for Walleye opening and stay for a week targeting mostly pike and walleye. The two lodges I have in mind are the Bay Wolf Camp in Shining Tree, and the Twin Bears Resort in the Montreal River.

My last year's trip to Gowganda was not as productive as I had hoped, though the lodge itself was just fine and I did have plenty of fun. This is basically my only fishing trip for the whole year, away from everything to be lost for a week, and so I'd like get the most out of this opportunity. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance.

I stayed at Lost Lake Lodge a few years ago just outside of Elk Lake and the fishing and lodge were great. There were several lakes in the area that they drive you to and 3 lakes you can portage to from the lodge.

I stay at Bay Wolf Camp in Shining Tree, every year, but in August, so I don't know what it would be like at that time of the year...I do ok fishing the lake the cottages are on and the five adjoining lakes , can be good but can be tough fishing too

the back lakes that they have boats on can be great, which is what I like to do as many days as I can

I really like the cottages and the owners are great, Al and Wendy

here are a few fish from last year

1.jpg