Road Trip Lodging

fishbait

I'm not driving straight thru this year. Probably going to stop in Wawa or alittle past and drive thru to arrive in the Red Lake, Balmertown area at about 8 at night. I am looking for suggestions for both stops. i had some info on a place in Red Lake that was on the water for last year but lost that info.

Grt1, we will have speaks about this as a party of 4 including yrs turly, is arriving for an overnighter in Red Lake / Balmertown in early July. We are flying to Winnipeg then driving back east (4-5 hours?) to lodge at Balmertown Inn, then the float plane outa Red Lake the next am. There will be 4 nights in at Booi's on Trout Lake , quarry is mainly lake trout.

Connie (Tennessee Guy) has given me some good info. Please feel free to respond to this thread or send me a pm. Thanks very largely, dere.

Doug, you guys must be great fishermen to be able to boat all the fish your need in only four days in camp. I need at least two weeks.

Being a tight/frugal yank I pitch my tent and eat from my ice chest. Unless I catch a late afternoon plane I'll be spending the night with Ralf at Chukuni River Campground.

grt1 am I right that you are on Gullrock Lake? Do you know my long time friends, Kim and Wendy?

Camping works for me. Staying in motels usually requires making reservations and I don't like to be pinned down on where I have to spend the first night.

Balmer Motor Inn is fine and their food is as good as any, but I've boycotted the place for the past 8 years because they turned away my dog when we wanted to come in out of the snow for a night in October. They've accepted lots worse guests than my dog. I know because they were with me. Some dogs were OK, but not mine and the desk Nazi didn't even see her. Her decision probably cost the motel a few thousand dollars of lost business over the years. My ride was weathered in on Warrington Lake and we spent two nights in Ralf's campground. Asleep at 7 p.m. and up at 8 a.m. with the tent flap open around 3 a.m. so Beatrice could go for a short run and a squirt. The stay didn't hurt us.

You have great neighbors. I suppose Beau is about to become a man. If your house is to the north of theirs I may have met your wife about six years ago, around the time a beaver was taking down your best tree.

Hopefully I'll be in your neighborhood either in May or July of 2007. You have a beautiful spot on Gullrock Lake and the walleye fishing is good. I remember how to get to your house. Going north, turn right on the last road before Bug River bridge.

I'm finding it tough to wait until May 12 when I head for Little Vermilion.

I'm not really hijacking fishbait's thread, just letting him know he'll be among some really nice people when he visits your area.

fishbait, since we're the first going in on May 12 (if the ice is gone) I'm hoping to fly in late on Friday, May 11. Otherwise I'd stay at the Chukuni River Campground that's located halfway between Red Lake and Balmertown. The campground is about 150 yards from where the floatplane spends the night. Balmer Motor Inn is better, but the boycott is still on. I owe it to my dog.

Tom, I make lots of stops. 5 for fuel, one for tackle shopping, and once at the border. Don't allow my riders to drink anything until the gas gauge is down to 1/4. Stop only for gas and a quick trip to the restroom. Gander Mountain and the beer store rate a short stop. Lots of rules to enforce.