Chemong Lake Ice Fishing

Michael_Brown

Hey Everyone:

Well, it is finally here, year-round Kawartha fishing. A group of us went out on Chemong Lake this morning and drilled our first holes just off the causeway. Managed to catch lots of perch and a mixed bag of other species. Nothing fanatastic but it sure was nice dropping a line this close to home.

I'm posting a picture of my first Chemong Lake ice perch and although it is not big, I am very proud of it.

I have caught lots of bigger perch but this one is special, a ton of work by lots of dedicated people went into that fish. I have never wanted to catch a fish a much as a Kawartha panfish through the ice, now I can strike that of the bucket list.

Thank You to everyone who played a role in opening this great angling oppourtunity in zone 17:

MNR

FMZ 17 Advisory council

Anglers who completed surveys, attended meetings and provided other input and support.

It was nice meeting everyone out on the ice today and I would guess about 100 people were fishing on Chemong today. :)

Chex news was out and filmed a segment for Monday night news, check it out for a chance to see Ron Reyns in action.

chemongicesmall.jpg

Chemongperchsmall..jpg

Edited by Michael Brown

I'm not an icefisherman at all Michael, but I drove across the Causeway at noon today and it was really nice to see so many folks out there enjoying themselves while fishing thru the Kawartha ice for the 1st time.

Yes, we had a fantastic time out there. No Crappies were harmed by our crew of 6 but there were lots of Perch! Easily enough to keep the kids occupied. I, or should I say my daughter, tried out the new to me underwater camera and it is amazing on what you see on it.

My buddy can say he caught the first Muskie of the year, another buddy caught a decent Largemouth and I could only muster up a trophy perch pushing the tape measure at 6 inches!

Looking forward to spending a few more days on the hard stuff out there!

It was great to see the amount of people enjoying our newly found resource in the Kawartha Lakes.

Mike, thanks for getting this set up today, I think it will be a great boost to the economy to the area. I spent 30.00 at the tackle shop and another 70.00 at the gas station. That's a 100.00 more than I would have spent elsewhere!

Cheers, Ron...

My buddy Russ and I were out there as well, we managed four small perch for a few hours of effort. I think we were fishing just a couple hundred yards to the south of you, we saw the CHEX camera set-up.

Like you mentioned, the first little perch was maybe the most exciting fish I've ever caught. So cool to be able to ice fish so close to home. Too bad it's too friggin' cold out there today...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good look around the other day on Chemong and everyone is fishing outside weedlines, nobody catching much of anything. I will not be spending much time in less than 15 feet of water on Chemong, for a while. If you see someone dead center in the middle of the basin, come out for a chat.

It's going to be wet Friday but I may be out for a fish.

I also am moving from the shore.

Do you know if it shallow and weedy out there in Chamong,

and are blue gill good eating?

The main basin of the lake on both sides of the causeway maxes out at about 18' to 20', the deeper water is generally closer to the east side of the lake.

Blue gill can be good eating, a little bony though.

It looks like tomorrow is going to be a great day.

Thanks for the offer Matthew, I'm probably heading out at sometime during the day but I have a few kid trips to make.

What part of the lake are you planning on fishing?

I'm planning on fishing the north side of the causeway about halfway to Skyline park, right in the middle.

Good Luck if I don't see you.

Well it was fun.

I tryed everything this site tells me to do

but I just can't stop the emails from going into my hotmail.

20 or more a day is not cool because they do not even regard me.

I will try once more then I'm going to unsubscribe and find another

message board.

Happy fishing everyone.

Well it was fun.

message board.

Happy fishing everyone.

So does this mean you did or you didn't catch any fish today?

Well it was fun.

message board.

Happy fishing everyone.

I have to admit you've lost me with this post.

Are you suggesting that your e-mail issues are related to this forum?

It's OK guys I was loged onto a number of other forums and was recieving

way to many notifications in my hotmail acount.

so I unsubscribed to all but this one.

I went out were I live on Pigeon L. and can't even find the chanel because the water is down like 3 feet.

So can anyone let me know if the ice on Chemong is still safe and have you had any luck in the last couple of days?

I went out were I live on Pigeon L. and can't even find the chanel because the water is down like 3 feet.

So can anyone let me know if the ice on Chemong is still safe and have you had any luck in the last couple of days?

Chemong probably has ther safest ice anywhere right now, at least as far as you can see either side of the causeway A solid 14" everywhere we drilled yesterday. There's no current to speak of on the lake besides under the bridge at the causeway.

Today on Buckhorn we drilled anywhere from 12" to 16" of ice. The problem with Buckhorn is we're kinda restricted to the shallower water, at least on my side of the lake, maybe 9' max. I don't trust the ice over the deeper parts of the lake due to the current

Where abouts on Pigeon are you located? I am on a small bay south of the Gannon Narrows and our normal 4 to 5 feet of water is now down to 2 to 3. If you have a GPS with you, you still should be able to find the deeper holes (8 to 10 feet) in the south end of the lake.

Chemong probably has ther safest ice anywhere right now, at least as far as you can see either side of the causeway A solid 14" everywhere we drilled yesterday. There's no current to speak of on the lake besides under the bridge at the causeway.

Today on Buckhorn we drilled anywhere from 12" to 16" of ice. The problem with Buckhorn is we're kinda restricted to the shallower water, at least on my side of the lake, maybe 9' max. I don't trust the ice over the deeper parts of the lake due to the current

Thanks bud I'm gonna hit it (Chemong) on wed morning let you know how I do.

Where abouts on Pigeon are you located? I am on a small bay south of the Gannon Narrows and our normal 4 to 5 feet of water is now down to 2 to 3. If you have a GPS with you, you still should be able to find the deeper holes (8 to 10 feet) in the south end of the lake.

I'm in Cowans bay and I know it's all weeds but forget about it not enough water to even fish the chanel,

I tryed it again today 3ft of water compared to 9ft in the summer.

Going to the Chemong for a fish.

I'm in Cowans bay and I know it's all weeds but forget about it not enough water to even fish the chanel,

I tryed it again today 3ft of water compared to 9ft in the summer.

Going to the Chemong for a fish.

You must have missed the channel. The water on the Tri-lakes is down about two feet which is normal for this time of year. They certainly haven't dropped it six feet.

Yes your rite,

it's not down 6ft that's just me talking.

But I will say,

there is no water at the end of my dock, the ice is on the ground.

So just like last spring when the ice melts the water will be 12ft from the shoer line.

so I found the chanel and there is only like 3ft befor the weeds hit.

I did go out today on Chemong and nothing.

I'm going to find them though and share the welth with you all.