Bay of Quinte - New Years Morning

Jeff_C

We went out this morning with a few friends and started the year out right! Some quality fish hit the ice this morning, some fun was had, and a decent amount of fish were caught. Just look out for the "fillet bandit". Someone is going around and stealing the fillets off of your fish when no-one is looking! lol

Don't worry, all of the big ones were released. :)

01-01-2010_A.jpg

01-01-2010_B.jpg

01-01-2010_C.jpg

01-01-2010_D.jpg

01-01-2010_E.jpg

01-01-2010_Fritz-and-Fran.jpg

At this point I feel it's fair to say "I hate you". :D

I agree with Spiel...

I waited 'until this afternoon to try my luck for the first time this season...

I would say there is about 8 to 10 inches of good hard ice on Taite's Bay (North shore of Pigeon Lake)

No fish but lots of good hard ice... :lol:

Opened my first hole at 01:30 pm and chopped open another before 03:00 pm...would have moved around a bit more but I was using a hatchet and a spud to chop holes and it was taking at least 15 minutes each time...tried a perch colored jigging rap tipped with a chartreuse Gulp maggot and nada...switched over to a small Williams wobbler with a drop line and a Gulp minnow and nuttin...(both work on crappies at Jack Lake) Also tried jigging a Fin-S shad to no avail...At 04:00pm the wind picked up and the temps dropped so I packed it in early... :(

Not the best report to start the season but ...what can i tell you... :rolleyes:

Maybe next time I will invest in some minnows and use one of Dawg's Sabiki rigs... :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Beans

...Or maybe an auger.

I gave my manual auger to a kid's club in Whitby as I figured at my age I was going to pack ice fishing in then they go and open up the Kawartha Lakes for panfish year round...Now I can ice fish in my backyard so to speak...I'd love to buy a new one but all my loose change just went to buy a new suit for my son's wedding in February... :(

Most of my friends that ice fish have augers...so it is not a real necessity unless I go out by myself... :lol:

Beans let me know where and when you want a hole and I will come and drill one for you.

We caught mostly perch on chemong today but it sure was nice being able to try.

That's the fun part, is learning what to look for and where to fish on our home lakes.

When you figure them out on Pigeon, you have about 30 other nearby lakes to work on.