Camera Lens question(nf)

Pigeontroller

Biggest issue relates to image size. Lenses for a 35mm SLR are designed to cover a piece of film measuring 24mm x 36mm in size (standard 35mm negative or slide). The sensors in digital cameras are physically smaller than this, so the peripheral areas of the frame are not recorded when you take the picture - you get the center 'core' but lose the edges. The amount of loss is generally around 50 percent.

In practical terms, it means you lose some wide-angle capability. If you're trying to shoot a photo in the boat, your 28mm lens no longer provides 28mm coverage, but is about equal to a 42mm lens (28mm plus 50 percent - or 14mm). If you want to take wide-angle shots in the boat, you'll need to buy a wider lens now ... something in the 16mm to 18mm range. A 16mm gives you the equivalent of 24mm, while an 18mm lens gives you about 27mm if you think in 35mm film terms.

On the positive side, your telephotos change too .... that 200mm now provides about the same angle of view you would get from a 300mm lens. Your 300 is now approximately on par with a 450mm.

You can buy digital SLRs with 24mm x 36mm sensors, but they're very expensive. Picture quality is better, particularly in low light.

The coverage issue aside, your lenses should work just fine otherwise.

I have a few lens that fit my old 35mm Cannon,(Tamron 28-200, Canon 75-300) they do fit the new Canon DSLR I bought my Wife...But I know theres a difference between them and modern lens designed for Digital. Can one of you Photography experts explain it to me?

The Canon lense should fit if it is EF or EF-S. Assuming that the DSLR you bought was an XS or XSi or even T1i I believe. I am not sure about the Tamron but if you try their website you should be able to find out quickly.

I love my XSi and I am sure that she will love the Canon!!!

Edited by bullybass