Chrome in the rain

frozen-fire

Put a few hours on a trib this morning in hope that the warmer temps would stimulate the fish.

I only managed one, but it put up the best fight by far. It went on several acrobatic jumps and powerful runs.

Eventually got this nice thick hen onto the snow. A few quick pics and back in the water. It actually soaked my camera on the release.

steel1.jpg

steel2.jpg

steel3.jpg

MJL pulls in a few nice ones.

mikesteel1-1.jpg

mikesteel4.jpg

Hopefully KelfuN's got some cool shots to post from the waterproof camera :)

kelfun1.jpg

Great pics Ant...A tougher session for sure. On the bright side, I think my waders don't leak anymore after I put a whole tube of aquaseal on the feet again :D

damn i missed out again.

nice job guys!

Vic...Good to see you're still with us...Kelfun, Frozen Fire, Jet and I had a minute of silence for you on the river (along with several other understanding anglers and strangers)...We thought you didn't make it after asking for permission :P (Please don't tell her I said that...She knows I'm joking :angel:...I hope :unsure:)

Vic...Good to see you're still with us...Kelfun, Frozen Fire, Jet and I had a minute of silence for you on the river (along with several other understanding anglers and strangers)...We thought you didn't make it after asking for permission :P (Please don't tell her I said that...She knows I'm joking :angel:...I hope :unsure:)

:lol:

"anyways, i wont be posting anymore of the under water shots we took that day...it shows background and i dont want to spotburn." I know that rood formation! Anywho nice report. I was out aswell. It was the first time since the snowstorm and already some of the rivers are very frozen over in lower portions. I only got 1 between two of us all day. It was 90% finding a spot where I can effectively fight and land fish lol. Waders are coming in the mail soon!

"anyways, i wont be posting anymore of the under water shots we took that day...it shows background and i dont want to spotburn." I know that rood formation! Anywho nice report. I was out aswell. It was the first time since the snowstorm and already some of the rivers are very frozen over in lower portions. I only got 1 between two of us all day. It was 90% finding a spot where I can effectively fight and land fish lol. Waders are coming in the mail soon!

Man, if you can recognize root/trees on the shoreline, I'll give you props! You must be out there everyday!

Did you get all thoes fish on bags?.. or were you throwing hardware too?

As KelfuN said...no fish on bags. IMO, these fish have seen so many bags go by that they are probably irritated by them... especially on busy weekends!

Seems everyone swears by roe, but I have yet to land any fish on it.

Carry a diverse selection of stuff to throw at them and they'll eventually turn on :)

Nice Job out there! How'd the first day end up going Anthony?

Saturday was OK. Only had one big fish on that took me for a ride...but eventually broke me off by snagging up on something during a powerful downstream run. Lots of ice and slush to avoid that didn't make for good drifts :(

Great stuff guys! I haven't had a chance to get out much this fall, so I have to live my steelhead adventures thru reports like this one. Congrats on another successful outing!

Thanks Cliff. One of these days I hope to bump into you on the river. I would love to get me some night time chrome! :D

must be on a dew worm? or a meal worm. judging by the bare size 12 hook in the fish's lower lip...

nice fish! you're doing better than anybody i've seen or talked to, and certainly better than my (so far skunked) self!

Actually if you look closely, there is a red hook in the mouth... a red gamakatsu octopus hook in size 10 which is what I use :). This fish had 2 other hooks in it's mouth! I guess she snapped two people off before committing to my offering!

I did remove the other hooks before letting her go in hopes she makes it upstream to do her thing in the spring.