Confirming Presence of Trout

Fishnwire

There's a little back lake near camp that I have heard was stocked with rainbow and or speckled trout a few years back. The rumour is a guy dumped a couple hundred six inchers in there that he he got from God knows where. This was a completely unsanctioned action, and may not have even taken place. The effort to do so must have been tremendous, but it is possible, and my information source is predictably reliable. The guy who supposedly did it stopped coming around the area for reasons that are too involved and delicate to get into here (he's the kind of guy to illegally stock a lake...use your imagination.) so I can't comfirm the story, nor has anyone fished the lake in the time since, as far as I know.

I'm a SMB/pike/walleye guy. I know nothing about trout. How would you guys determine whtether or not there are even any lake-locked trout in there. If there are I would lug a boat in and leave it there but don't want to if there's nothing but suckers there. I was thinking about walking in next year with a rod and slip-float and trying off shore. I don't know the legal season, so I will look that up and adhere to whatever regs apply, but what time of year would be the best for me to posssibly confirm the presence of fish? What should I use as bait and what depths and structure/cover should I try? Maybe little spinners or spoons are better? Any tips would help.

I'm not asking about how to consistantly catch trout, I just want to give it a reasonable shot so I can hope to comfirm or deny their very presence.

Thanks.

If it was a few years ago and it was rainbows chances are there might not be any left.They dont reproduce in lakes and the lake itself might not be capable of sustaining rainbows for various reasons. For confirmation Id take a look at it some evening in the spring when there is lots of bug activity. Trout would be visibly rising to take bugs on the surface of the lake.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Fishnwire, is this lake open for ice fishing, if so go in in the winter drill a few holes and drop a worm down and see what happens. If it not open then go in once the season opens and again take a spinner put a worm on the end and work the shore if any rainbows are around you should find them this way.

FLEX

If there were rainbows stocked a few years back they should still be there if there is any depth to the lake. 20' would be fine. I find that the rainbows will stuff themselves with the freshwater shrimp, especially in the winter. However, if you throw a minnow or a worm down there, they should go crazy over it. Look for a large shallow flat that drops off into the deeper water, they will move up and down onto that flat looking for food. Hold on if you hook one, they go nuts.

Thanks guys...I think I might try getting in there this winter and try through the ice. If I don't do that I'll go some spring evening and just watch for them surfacing.

If I find trout back there it will open up a whole new world of fishing to me.