Eskimo Quickfish III portable ice hut

Jonny

I got an Eskimo Quickfish III last week at Costco for $179 ($204 tax in.)

I've set it up and packed it up a couple of times, and I'm impressed.

• Floor area is 6x6 but it feels roomier because of the outward bulges at elbow height.
  • Roof height in the center is about 7 ft.
  • LOTS of room for 2 people, probably comfortable enough for 3, could fit 4 in a pinch (not all the holes inside, of course).
  • Fabric is red on the outside, dark gray on the inside, fairly thick and durable-looking, almost a canvas texture.
  • Four plastic windows with velcro flaps
  • 2 ventilation ports with velcro flaps
  • "D" style door with double zippers - looks strong enough, and is well-positioned at a corner.
  • Spring-poles and hubs give the impression of strength.

Best of all, the claim of "one minute setup" isn't far wrong. It's actually fun to set up and take down. Even better, once it's folded up (it almost folds by itself) it fits back into the carrying bag! The bag has a couple of padded shoulder straps for back-packing, but you wouldn't want to go too far. It's heavier than you might think, more suitable for pulling on a sleigh.

I think this is a winner!

I was looking at the one set up at our Costco, looks lke a decent unit, especially at that price. The same tent is $299 on Cabela's Canadian website.

I'm torn between something like that or a flip-over like a Clam Nanook. It's the wind that concerns be about the pop-up style, those ice anchors look like a pain. I like the added weight of the sled on a flip-over to keep it from blowing away.

I'm torn between something like that or a flip-over like a Clam Nanook. It's the wind that concerns be about the pop-up style, those ice anchors look like a pain. I like the added weight of the sled on a flip-over to keep it from blowing away.

The anchors that come with the hut are supposed to be really good to use from what I've read. Will have to wait for some ice to test them out.

The hut would be easier to raise - especially when you're alone - with the corners pegged down first.

In a wind, the loops that you pull to pop out the sides can be used as extra anchor points on the upwind side. That's the theory anyway. :lol:

I have a cheap Eastman version of the same pop up hut. The ease of setting it up is a plus but the lack of mobilitity sux. The anchors work really well and may I suggest you bring along a cordless drill with a 5/16 drill bit...you will be glad you did. In the heavier wind days do just what was said anchor the four corners first then use the tether straps to support the windward side and the opposite side. The drill comes in very handy to pilot an inch or so to get the anchors started, then they screw in no problem. good luck and sounds like ya got a really good price. B)

And if that doesn't work Jocko... you probably always wanted to try Para-skiing anyhow !

The most "primitive" thing I've flown in is a Stearman, so if I go for a little flight on the Eskimo, it'll be a ground-breaking experience. I don't know if my GPS can show speed and altitude at the same time, but if it can I'll post some figures for you, Irish. :P

The anchors work really well and may I suggest you bring along a cordless drill with a 5/16 drill bit... The drill comes in very handy to pilot an inch or so to get the anchors started, then they screw in no problem. good luck and sounds like ya got a really good price. B)

Good idea, JM, thanks.