East trib report!

danjang

My dad, my friend and I went to my favourite trib this morning with the intent of fishing near the mouth of the river where there were reports of steelies stacking up. I should also mention that I came prepared with polarized glasses for the first time (Probably the best non tackle piece of gear). No deal, 2 hours goes by, around 10 other fisherpeople and only two were hooked and landed. So we decided to head up stream to the more familiar pools. No deal once again. Getting desperate, I decided to cast into horribly thick log jams. First drift and BAM, a silver flash and my float goes under. Under the jam :(. I retie and BAM second drift another flash and this handsome guy attempted to go under as well.

dsc00622w.jpg

I clearly said no and muscled him out of there.

Moving on up stream another log jam. First drift and BAM again, and again at the next. I get it now, polarized lenses isn't for looking for fish, its for looking at fish SMASH the hell out of your bait and man, it is the best sight in the entire world. 3/7 today. Losing floats and hooks more often is worth seeing a steelie dart straight out of a dark crevice into your hook.

Nice fish.........but why are you eating your rod ?

I tried looking cool. I think I did it wrong. lol

I went again today but only caught one. But it was a big one, 27 inches and took me up and down river and did several nice jumps (almost on top of the log jam!). My dad landed 3 from the same log jam too.

I tried looking cool. I think I did it wrong. lol

I went again today but only caught one. But it was a big one, 27 inches and took me up and down river and did several nice jumps (almost on top of the log jam!). My dad landed 3 from the same log jam too.

wheres the pics? Im headin there tommorrow,..you better not have spooked them all out,..lol..just kidding,..oh pS,..leave those logs alone,..they are OOS under the logs ;) lol

wheres the pics? Im headin there tommorrow,..you better not have spooked them all out,..lol..just kidding,..oh pS,..leave those logs alone,..they are OOS under the logs ;) lol

There was like no one else there yesterday. 3-4 other anglers not catching much. I stuck around the north river by the first logjam. It produced! My dad is technologically impaired and so the pics didn't go through.

i think you have it perfectly .

eat the rod not the fish! :lol:

congrats man !

I kinda ate a small one :/. I didn't mention it. I promised a friend I'd get her some. It was mighty tasty baked with olive oil garlic and maple syrup (The real stuff not the aunt jermima crap).

There was like no one else there yesterday. 3-4 other anglers not catching much. I stuck around the north river by the first logjam. It produced! My dad is technologically impaired and so the pics didn't go through

Sure it produced,..but Im wondering how many fish you left hooks in?? being a newb and all...:)

None! 6lb test is hard to snap even when on purpose. I didn't see the one I caught on Sunday! I thought I snagged the rocks but then it took off like a rocket. If there's one thing I've learned on saturday is to drift a few times and if nothing worth while hits (lots of little guys) leave it for 20 min or so and come back. It's usually the first or second drift that produces. On that day atleast :P.

was just curious as the fish you posted was stale but small,...and the ones under those logs can be BIG,....I guess you lucked out,...as the bigger ones might have dragged you right under them logs....can you swim? ..lol... :lol::lol::lol: ..I know the the exact spots you fish and I just want to add some caution becasue you will lose hooks on fish under there and I know you have, to say you havent is silly and anyone else that knows it will laugh also..,...the Key is to lure them out before they hit...then keep them out,...;)...but a strong lead is a great start!!!! :P:D:rolleyes:

On that particular day I didn't lose hooks but yeah I've lost hooks before to a few fish swimming back in. I think I've even recaught the fish I've lost hooks in before. I accidentally snagged one before too :/. I do lure them out now and make sure I can see my roe bag floating down the entire time. Lesson learned.

Hey DanJang,..did we see you on the River today ? Your float high in a tree and my buddy came along and wrestled the tree to the ground so you could grab it? was that you? if so,...that pool is better fishe from the otherside....and watch out for that log, lost many a hook on it,...never got a fish in that pool as good as it looks though!!!

Haha Don't tell people what I actually do when I fish! Funny thing is about 30 minutes before, I did lose my only fish of the day to that log. It snapped the main line above the float. As I went looking for that fish, I saw my float/swivel/hook at the bottom of the run right after that pool. I thought It might have been you as you guys walked away but I was too busy untangling to say hello. Tell your buddy thanks!

Haha Don't tell people what I actually do when I fish! Funny thing is about 30 minutes before, I did lose my only fish of the day to that log. It snapped the main line above the float. As I went looking for that fish, I saw my float/swivel/hook at the bottom of the run right after that pool. I thought It might have been you as you guys walked away but I was too busy untangling to say hello. Tell your buddy thanks!

Lol,..Too Funny....dont worry Bud,...I lose many hooks and Floats along that whole stretch for the same reason....Its frustrating,...but its also serenity now,...and the way I look at it,..is you got a clean fresh rig with no knicks if that big fish hits,....and Oh yeah I pulled a nice Fresh one from your famous logjam on the way out.. about 10 min later,...lol