float fishing question

basskicker09

You can use elastics as a float stops, but the problem is it won't go though the eyes if your fishing deep. I use the Thill string stops available in most shops. Put you mainline line through the tube, push the string off the tube onto the line, pull the tag ends tight, trim, put the supplied bead and finally thread the float on.

I use the slip floats with the small bead, for a stop I carry a small container of dental floss and just tie a mutliple wrap overhand knot after a couple of turns around the line above the bead at the depth I want and trim the ends, goes through the guides fine and will slide if needed.

Edit: Also for elastics for postioning fixed floats I go to a hobby shop that caters to model airplane builders, the ones with the gas engines, and get a section of the fuel line they sell, chop it up with a razor blade into a few years supply of elastics.

Edited by dave524

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
I use the slip floats with the small bead, for a stop I carry a small container of dental floss and just tie a mutliple wrap overhand knot after a couple of turns around the line above the bead at the depth I want and trim the ends, goes through the guides fine and will slide if needed.

Edit: Also for elastics for postioning fixed floats I go to a hobby shop that caters to model airplane builders, the ones with the gas engines, and get a section of the fuel line they sell, chop it up with a razor blade into a few years supply of elastics.

is this the "flossing" i'm always reading so much about?

:P

that is actually a very good idea though! i'm not a fan of the commercial stops. i set the hook often and i find they constantly slip way out of place.

one more question, do you use regular or menthol? :P :P :P

also, places like princess auto has this tube for less the $1 a foot.

The model airplane stuff is very stretchy, just like a small diameter surgical tubing, it actually makes very good slingshots. I have never sampled the wares of Princess in this dept but I know black stuff that is used for vacuum lines is not quite the same, just make sure it is the very stretchy material. Originally the model stuff was like a yellow covered surgical tubing , last batch was a clear blue like fluoroescent blue Stren. I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't make good snubbers for dipsey divers as well.

Edited by dave524