Intro and Rideau advice

Woodturnermike

Hi!

First post here, been a lurker for awhile. My name is Mike, I live in Cape May New Jersey. Before I retired I lived in Pittsburgh which is 400 miles west of here and when fishing in the wonderful province of Ontario did so near to and also north of North Bay. I'd like to impose on you folks for some advice as to where would be a good choice both for fishing and for a cottage rental in the Rideau area. I C&R northern and bass and occasionally keep walleye, though when I want to eat fish I usually opt for panfish. In looking about I haven't seen any areas in Rideau that appear to have walleye but of course plenty seem to have pike and bass. Anyway any suggestions as to bodies of water (not looking for specific spots) and cottage rentals would really be appreciated. Quite a few Canadians vacation here in Cape May County and if any of you happen to number yourselves in the group I'd be happy to hook you up with saltwater fishing here.

Thanks very much for any info and thanks very much for putting up with us traveling north, most I hope are respectful of your resources.

Mike

Welcome Mike to OFC.

I wish I could help you but I am not familiar with the fishing area that you are looking for but I am sure someone will see your post and help out. I mainly fish southern Georgian Bay and your catch and release habits are very similar to mine.

Tom.

Hi Mike,

Not too sure about the Rideau but if you travel about 100 west of Ottawa there are some nice cottages for rent on the Ottawa River. One place in particular is on the quebec side of the Ottawa River directly across the river from Petawawa, Ontario. Its called Hotel Pontiac and the owner rents cottages with beautiful sand beaches at your front door. You have about 40 miles of river to fish and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. The fishing is great and your not far from Algonguin Park. I believe the hotel is in Chichester Quebec in the county of Pontiac. The owners name is Bob Miller. Do you have your own boat? If not I believe he rents boats also. Hope this helps.

Fish.

Now, now.

There are tons of great cottage rental websites (google cottage rental Ottawa River) and great things will happen.

Jim

Believe it or not Jim I've actually done that. I simply thought that getting info from those familiar with the area(not asking for specific fishing spots) rather than relying on self-serving cottage websites would be helpful. As a matter of fact I received two private messages, one suggesting that members from the area in question probably hadn't logged on yet but when they do they'll provide some assistance, the other saying there isn't much walleye fishing in that area. At any rate no further assistance required.

Adios

Mike

Believe it or not Jim I've actually done that. I simply thought that getting info from those familiar with the area(not asking for specific fishing spots) rather than relying on self-serving cottage websites would be helpful. As a matter of fact I received two private messages, one suggesting that members from the area in question probably hadn't logged on yet but when they do they'll provide some assistance, the other saying there isn't much walleye fishing in that area. At any rate no further assistance required.

Adios

Mike

Well, I can believe it but had to be sure as there are many that I talk to that have never used a cottage rental website. Unless you have had a negative experience that I have not my advice would be to not write them off as entirely self serving, as they have served me very well in the past.

Best wishes!

Jim

when you say rideau do you mean rideau lake near perth

I've fished the Rideau for quite a few years at Rideau Ferry ... just out Rt. 1 from Perth. We stay at Maple Crest Motel and Cabins. Last year the owner said that some folks were catching a couple while ice fishing - but very few. I've not heard of any action for Walleye's in the summer and I've never caught one. It's my understanding they're trying to get a population going in that section, but I've nothing to confirm it. I'm mainly there for bass and you can latch into some pike in the high 20's / low 30's (inches)

Edited by Rich Clemens