Accidental Muskie

ADB

Big muskie hooked on ultralite gear - what would you do?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Imagine you're ultralite fishing for panfish. 5'6" ultralite rod, 500 series reel, and 4 pound mono. You get a hit and when you set the hook you know right away it's not a perch. Too big to be a bass, and they're aren't any pike or carp in the water...it has to be a muskie, and a big one at that.

• Cut yout line: you know that IF you land the fish it'll probably be as good as dead.
    • Fight the fish; in the heat the moment you take your chance to land a trophy of a lifetime.

I wouldn't cut the line. That only leaves the fish dragging around a lot of line.

I'd fight it hard and tighten the drag up. Either you'll land it somewhat quickly (doubtful), if not hooked good the hook may pull out or the line will break (likely). If the line breaks it will in most cases break at or near the knot so that the fish will be pulling less line around.

Rick

agreed to some degree...but you're still gonna land it a lot quicker with more appropriate leader and lose less fish....

I dunno about a lot quicker, but I'll bet you'll lose more fish.

The bigger the tippet, the more pressure the guy puts on the fish, the easier the hook is to pop.. It's not like you are driving home that #14 hook on a 100yard drift with a 13ft float rod. You can pull all you want, with the biggest tippet you want, but if that fish gets into the current, you're not moving it :)

One of the many things I've learned (the hard way some of the time)

This poll reminded me of a similar situation except it was a carp on the end of the line. This is a true story.

I was at grenadier pond in Toronto and I was using a slip float with a berkley worm on a #12 hook.

I casted it out right below me on the barge and all the sudden I see this huge shadow come out of no where and took my worm.

I was using an ultralight 4 piece rod on a 6lbs mono test and I was so helpless.

Everything happened so quickly and I had no time to cut the line without any scissors in sight. My only option was to fight the fish as the other fishermen watched with laughter because of the gear I had.

To end of the story, the carp torpedo away and it took all the line off my spool. Luckily my rod didn't snap but I ended up going home early because I didn't have any extra line.

Don't bother fighting the fish or you'll end up with a broken rod.