Centerpin Nooblet..

jaysonmarion@gmail.com

Hey Guys.

I'm really starting to get into the steelheading and I think I want to pick up a starter centerpin (nothing extravagant) so that I can start to get a hang of it in time for the spring (and of course catch some fish along the way).

I know its all trial and error while learning how to cast and drift, but I was just wondering what the standard setup is for spooling line.

For example when using braid on a spinning/baitcaster its good practice to cover the spool with mono first before putting the braid on.

Is there a similar technique when spooling a centerpin?

I appreciate the help as always guys... I'll be heading to my favorite steel place tonight, if you want to join me send me a message! :)

As Kemper mentioned, spool some fly line backing onto the spool and then spool mono over top of it. Dacron lines also work well as a backing - I've got 30lb Cortland Musky Master filled up on my Islander.

Some reels have shallower spools (eg. Angspec, JW youngs') and backing isn't entirely necessary for those reels (if you plan on wallis casting most of the time you don't need much line on the spool anyway). I think I only ran about 50-60 yards of mono on a JW.Young (Bob James) when I owned one briefly.

Edited by MJL

Hey Guys.

I'm really starting to get into the steelheading and I think I want to pick up a starter centerpin (nothing extravagant) so that I can start to get a hang of it in time for the spring (and of course catch some fish along the way).

I know its all trial and error while learning how to cast and drift, but I was just wondering what the standard setup is for spooling line.

For example when using braid on a spinning/baitcaster its good practice to cover the spool with mono first before putting the braid on.

Is there a similar technique when spooling a centerpin?

I appreciate the help as always guys... I'll be heading to my favorite steel place tonight, if you want to join me send me a message! :)

I can tell you my 1st setup... this will be my 1st full year steelheadin'.

Here's my setup:

Floatreel: MATRIX (By: Raven)

raven_matrix.jpg

Floatrod: 12'6" 2-PC Shimano "Convergence"

ROD_SPIN_SHIMANO_CONVERGENCE.jpg

Line: Unsure at this point (The store I bought it from spooled it up for free; Plus, I got the rod & terminal tackle the same day too.)

I've been thinking of upgrading my toys... but I haven't used it nearly long enough. So, I'm not going to. Plus, bearings are the best/cheapest way to upgrade.

wait, so you got a float reel and stopped using it?

stick with it man :)

I just picked mine up not that long ago. I have been skunked every time using it though...but still learning.

Even just after the first outing, I could see how much easier and more effective it is compared to a spinning outfit on the river.

I Just bought a cheap one from CT.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...BFly%2BReel.jsp

It's probably not even the right type lol. (told you I was a noob)

Is that link of the reel you bought? Or perhaps the wrong link? You may want to reconsider that purchase if you're looking for a float reel...If you bought it, you purchased a fly reel...Fly reels are totally different from centrepin float reels.

With that said, a lot of guys up fishing Lake Superior tribs spool mono onto their fly reels and use them for bottom bouncing.

Not overly familiar with the Brantford area but 2 shops which sell them not too far include:

- Natural Sports in Kitchener

http://www.naturalsports.ca/listings.php?category_id=7

and

Angler's Outfitters in Woodstock

Wow,..

Those are expensive lol...

Are there any under $100 for a starter? lol

Wow,..

no

look for a used one, if your looking for something around a hundred keep your eyes out for someone selling a raven matrix. Its not the best pin out there and certainly not the prettiest but it is bulletproof and will do the job until you decide if you want to upgrade or not

if you want something under $100, it will have to be used. If you are willing to spend a little more, head to Angling Outfitters and see Joc. You wont find a better deal for a beginner float reel. Okuma Aventas with the upgraded bearings go for around $169 new. Thats what I bought in the Spring and I like.

No, its not a kingpin or anything, but its caught its fair share of big fish in my first year, and it spins nicely with the upgraded bearings. Give him a call at the very least.

519-539-5494

Wow,..

If you can find one, the ugly black LEEDS reels used to sell in the neighbourhood of $100. The tolerances were pretty poor and it wobbled when you spun it but those reels started many anglers onto using the centrepin. They also mashed up your hand pretty bad when a fish took you for a run cause the machining was pretty poor :lol: You could probably pick one up for $50 now. I’d recommend saving up and getting something like a Raven or an Islander – You could probably get either used for $200-$250. Buy once and there’s no ‘need’ to upgrade to something better later on. I put ‘need’ in quotations because there will always be a ‘want’ for another reel :D

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

equipping yourself with the float gear needed to consistently catch fish IS expensive.

even once you have the rod and reel taken care of you should have quality floats, proper steelhead shot, quality hooks and it all REALLY starts to add up.

i bought an okuma aventa reel to start on and there's nothing wrong with it. the okuma rods however are total crap.

invest in a quality rod.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

cheap shot usually comes in much larger sizes and has that stupid pinchy thing on the back to reopen the sinker once you've pinched it down on your line.

"steelie" shot has no pinchy thing on the back (less drag) and comes in sizes that get real small for slow flow/clear water applications.

split_shot_1.jpg

VS

w_steelhead_shot.jpg

If I were you......... I wouldnt even bother buying a float reel just yet. There is a lot to learn about steelheadig first. Learn how to consistantly catch them first on spinning gear for a year or two and then decide weather or not you want a float reel. You dont need the added aggrevation of learning how to use a float reel. It wont help you catch more fish. Its just a funner way of doing it. Some of the best steelheaders that I know use spinning gear. When you do finnaly decide on buying one, dont waste your $ on fly line backing. $2 redwolf mono from Crappy tire will fill the reel with your choice of 10# mono over top of it. Good luck.

my understanding of running dacron backing is because it's lighter which makes for easier spool startup.......and provides some cushion which prevents the spool from warping....not sure how you would warp a centrepin spool, snag maybe? but that was what I was told years back....

a few things I'd suggest:

-agreed on keeping it simple...are you new to centre pinning or new to steelheading entirely? if you're complete noob I'd recommend just running your spinning reel and learning more important factors: ie how to tie your own egg sacs, reading the water, learning how to identify steelie water and dead water, how rainfall affects the rivers you fish, water temps, shot patterns, various knots, etc, etc....mastering these basic skills will improve your success far more than a centrepin

- find somebody who knows what they're doing and get out as much as possible....if you don't kjnow anybody then actually start watching guys on the river and what they are doing before you get out in the river

- raven makes a pretty informative little booklet, great for starters