A Hockey Thought (Sorry)

JohnF

I realize the whole point of competition is winning, but isn't there something to be said for the entertainment value hockey offers?

I was quite entertained by the Leafs in much of the pre-season stuff, then less than entertained for the first half dozen regular season games, so much so that I didn't even watch the end of a couple of them.

But lately I feel like I'm getting pretty good value from the Leafs (particularly considering that I pay nothing to watch them on tv). Sure, they aren't winning, but they're making it a game most of the time, and for those who are only gratified by wins you gotta admit that they've deserved a couple more of late, that they've not exactly had horseshoes up their butts. They owned Buffalo for a good part of the game last night, and if you didn't know the score you'd have guessed they were smoking the Sabres.

I'm enjoying watching them again. I hope for the players' sakes and for those fans who can't appreciate anything but two pointers that they do get some more wins, and it would be fun to watch them get into the playoffs, even if it isn't too deep.

JMTCW

JF

To a certain extent John I agree with you, however I have a couple of additional thoughts.

1. I enjoy watching the Leafs play in the regular season, but I believe that all regular season hockey pales in comparison to playoff hockey. The Leafs will need to change things very soon if I am going to see them in any playoff games in the spring.

2. The Maple Leaf organization is fortunate enough in this market to have EXTREMELY loyal fans. Loyal to a fault possibly. I believe that the self proclaimed centre of the hockey world market deserves to have a compteative team on the ice each and every game.

The last three games have been more entertaining for sure, but to keep it entertaining the team has to be competative in my view.

Cheers

Craig

To a certain extent John I agree with you, however I have a couple of additional thoughts.

1. I enjoy watching the Leafs play in the regular season, but I believe that all regular season hockey pales in comparison to playoff hockey. The Leafs will need to change things very soon if I am going to see them in any playoff games in the spring.

2. The Maple Leaf organization is fortunate enough in this market to have EXTREMELY loyal fans. Loyal to a fault possibly. I believe that the self proclaimed centre of the hockey world market deserves to have a compteative team on the ice each and every game.

The last three games have been more entertaining for sure, but to keep it entertaining the team has to be competative in my view.

Cheers

Craig

Ok, another thought. Is a fair weather fan really a good fan, or just an opportunist trying to jump on any winning bandwagon? And I agree that playoffs are always more exciting. Let's face it. Sports is just a sublimation of our warring nature. But we never respected the Benedict Arnolds of war who switched teams when the going got tough.

I'm not sure for me if it's the winning or just the higher quality of competition. I always end up feeling sorry for the team that lost. If they get smoked I feel their embarrassment, and if they take it down to the wire I feel their disappointment in losing after getting sooooo close. I even felt that way when I was playing and coaching. Got a Peewee team pic taken right after we were eliminated from a tourney. I was actually the only one smiling. The guys still kid me about it 50 years later. I could never bring myself to rub it in when we won - well, there were a few teams, but that's another story. :whistling:

JF

Edited by JohnF

Until the Leafs come home to Canada (American GM, American Coach and best player Kessel, American) they will continue to lose. Can you imagine an NFL team or MLB or NBA team with Canadians running the show in a city like New York or L.A.? They haven't been a good team since Doug Gilmour and Felix Potvin were the stars and Pat Burns was the coach. Just coincidence? I think not.

Until the Leafs come home to Canada (American GM, American Coach and best player Kessel, American) they will continue to lose. Can you imagine an NFL team or MLB or NBA team with Canadians running the show in a city like New York or L.A.? They haven't been a good team since Doug Gilmour and Felix Potvin were the stars and Pat Burns was the coach. Just coincidence? I think not.

pretty sure the Leafs have had a Canadian gm and coach since they last won a cup

doesn't matter the nationality of the coach and gm

you need the talent on the ice

You're worried about winning the cup Rickster? How about winning more than one game in ten for a start. Then try to make the play-offs. They haven't been competitive since the early 90's but they've never been this bad. Burke would build a fine team for 1975 and if Wilson wasn't Burke's coach for the U.S. Olympic team he would be fired by now. They've pinned all their hopes on an American scorer that doesn't have his Canadian set up man (Marc Savard) anymore and has bones made of peanut brittle.

By the way Tuuka Rask had his second shutout for the Bruins today in 8 NHL starts. Thanks Leafs management past for him and thanks Leafs management present for the 1st overall pick next year Taylor Hall.

You're worried about winning the cup Rickster? How about winning more than one game in ten for a start. Then try to make the play-offs. They haven't been competitive since the early 90's but they've never been this bad. Burke would build a fine team for 1975 and if Wilson wasn't Burke's coach for the U.S. Olympic team he would be fired by now. They've pinned all their hopes on an American scorer that doesn't have his Canadian set up man (Marc Savard) anymore and has bones made of peanut brittle.

By the way Tuuka Rask had his second shutout for the Bruins today in 8 NHL starts. Thanks Leafs management past for him and thanks Leafs management present for the 1st overall pick next year Taylor Hall.

Jedi

I am not worried about winning the cup.......My Devils have one three since 94 :clapping:

I just get a kick out of all the leaf fans in the summer saying how Burke is going to rebuild the team.

Then he makes one trade ....a few losses ........and all of a sudden the sky is falling

Look at the bright side ...at least the sens lost tonight too