Roof Rack for SUV

Dabluz

I'm planning to buy an SUV. Probably a used one but not too old. My big problem is finding one which will allow me to carry my canoe or even my 12 foot aluminum boat. From looking at all the SUVs I see everyday, none of them are really made to fit out with a simple canoe rack. Some don't even have a long enough roof to allow a canoe rack. What's the use in having an SUV if it cannot carry a canoe? I don't want to use foam blocks and 8 ropes to make sure the canoe stays put. On top of that, foam blocks are not sturdy enough for the 12 foot aluminum boat. What do SUV owners use these days?

Edited by Dabluz

What SUV's are you looking at? Most have racks available.

My Honda Pilot has one and I have seen them on Subaru's, Chevy's, Ford's, Dodge's, etc.

Some SUV's onlt have the rails which is useless if they don't have cross bars.

The Mitsubishi Outlander is one that you can't get factory cross bars for.

I have seen quite a few SUV's with home made cross bars held on with U bolts.

When I use my car top carrier I have a set of cross bars from my old roof rack permanently mounted to the carrier and I U bolt it to my vehicles factory cross bars.

My Durango came with a factory rack, but did not have the cross bars to lay a canoe on. I bought the Thule cross-bar system and don't have any complainets. Same system works for the plastic roof top storage bins for extra room when going on longer trips.

Cheers

Craig