Hamilton Harbour Salmon Report 09/30/09

I know what you mean man, I got my first last week, and as soon as it was hooked it jumped 3 times like 4 feet out of the water, then took off up the river, all i could do was stand there with my arm out and let my drag scream.

Thats awesome :) Sounds exactly like what happened with me.

Raptorfans salmon jumped a good 3 feet out of the water and spat the hook. It was sad :(

I'm determined to land one. I'm going to Angling Outfitters right now on my lunch in search of a bigger net :)

Just went to Angling Outfitters and Talked to Joslyn for about 30 minutes about Salmon Techniques and equipment.

Walked out with a bunch of new glow spoons and trebles!

I love Angling Outfitters.. such an amazing store. Worth the drive from anywhere!

Can't wait till tonight. Join me on the pier!

Congrats WTG

Now you the true power of a king in open water.

Just the shear power, that is the main reason I hit the piers. I just crank the drag on my casting reels and put the boots to them. I refuse to go into the rivers.

Jose

See, aren't you glad you didn't catch it on a marshmallow? :D

Good deal, welcome to the nutty world of midnight pier fishing.

lol. Yup.

I am thoroughly addicted now.

I even left halfway through the leaf game last night to go... lol.

It was so cold last night I didnt stay very long.

Congrads to landing the fish! Get ready for more sleepless nights during fall Salmon season for the rest of your life.

If you want the fish to reduce its fighting time so others can cast their line back into the water, try to slowly lift the fish to the surface sooner, they will stop fighting once they have inhaled some air. Enjoy a longer fight if there are less anglers around.

Once you catch more and get more confident/experience, you should be able to land those fish at yourown discression.

I was only using 10 lb mono, the advantage of the stretch is the line absorbs some shock, so both you and the fish does not get too tired. However, you need to re-tie your line everytime you land one. Using mono line also prevent the hook from bending.

Edited by bassfighter