Calgary Fishing

Stoty

So, I've boooked a trip to go visit my sister in Calgary during the last week of October, and was wondering what info anyone can give me about the fishing opportunities out there.

From what I've heard, it's basically a trout fishery out there.

I assume there are some great rivers/streams out there to fish, but I have no clue where to go (obviously).

Any help is much appreciated!

*Stoty

just outside of Cow town is a place called strathmore...standard dam is where you want to go ....litterally TONS of trout there ...( velvetta cheese cubes) must be velvetta)...anywhere along the bow in town youll want to do like the locals and use meal worms or maggots ( pickeral rig presentation with coat hangers on the bottom of the rig to keep you from snagging on the rocks...you have fun i always did ....chestermere lake is great for small pike ..lots of bass and a few bows....boat prefered....McGregor Lake is a bit of a drive but if you want HUGE northerns then this is where to go ( boat required)...Sylvan Lake is a waste of time ( just outside of Red Deer...) ...

If you go up into the mountains ...Spray Lakes for the cut throat and amazing scenery ..Camera a must!!!!!

Lake Minowanka right in Banff....huge something ????...( i lost it ) but fought for 15 minutes

Good Luck and make sure you pack a parka/shorts umbrella and sun block for each and every day...only in alberta youll get 4 seasons in one day ...when are you going ???

If you want to stop in Edmonton ..ny son lives there and im sure he will be happy to take you fishing ( northern sharks)

just re read and see last week of Oct oops

Edited by Twocoda

not in the lakes when i was there ( might have changed?) ..but the bow river was barbless since i was a kid ....IF you do want to go to Edmonton ...let me know and ill call my son ( he is 22 ) ...he is always fishing out there ...he will be happy to take you to his spot....in turn you can deliver his cross bow to him ...lol...

Im sure your sister will know where Standard dam is ....seriously ...velvetta cheese cubes and you will catch two fish to everyone elses one ..

Stoty, heres a great link for you. Check out the Urban Angling title. Its all about fishing around Calgary. Also the discussion forum will help. But the Bow is also a great spinner fishery besides Fly Fishing. Let us know how you do. Oh yea, you must check out a flames game just for the Experience. I hear theyre even better than last year. Might see Jerome in a fight.

http://www.fishalberta.com/

Edited by holdfast

Stoty,

Strictly barbless out here and unfortunately no bass (other than a stocked lake many moons ago which may or may not have smallies). Also we have very limited walleye/pike catch and keep regs out here.

Send me a pm and maybe we can arrange a day out in my boat on one of the reservoirs like Crawling Valley.