Bronte Creek...

FiSh4LiFe

Hey guys just wondering if anyone could give me a report on the salmon run or any trout species in bronte right now. Im fishing there this week and i want to know the best acess that i could walk and wade and the best things to use right now...

Thanks, Nick

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

....But, the quantity of people couldn't be as much as today?! Today, people use internet... don't put in the leg work.

Not much leg work needed at Bronte, that spot gets bombarded with everything and anything since the first run of salmon began on Lake Ontario. Same crap every year, I would think all law enforcement agencies already know of the zoo down there by now. I would think the MNR would be down there doing sting operations regularly if they want to put $$$$$$$ into there budget, there's a ton of money to be made. I've never seen more violations then on the tribs during salmon season, it's a CO gold mine. Get out there CO's fill up your violation books and ensure yourselves of a job. I would think Salmon season would be like Christmas for you guys.

Forty years ago, downstream of the Mill Dam in Owen Sound, you could watch guys shoulder to shoulder, knee deep in the fast water, timing their drifts so they wouldn't get tangled. Everyone did the lift, swing drop and drift all in unison. Was almost like watching a chorus line. No internet then, not even any salmon yet. That was the spring steelhead run. There certainly were just as many then. Toronto Islands were infested with shore fishermen farther back than I can remember. Mouth of the Rouge River was another crowd magnet. There was a fair variety of fish to catch but the salmon weren't in the picture yet.

Guest gbfisher
Forty years ago, downstream of the Mill Dam in Owen Sound, you could watch guys shoulder to shoulder, knee deep in the fast water, timing their drifts so they wouldn't get tangled. Everyone did the lift, swing drop and drift all in unison. Was almost like watching a chorus line. No internet then, not even any salmon yet. That was the spring steelhead run. There certainly were just as many then. Toronto Islands were infested with shore fishermen farther back than I can remember. Mouth of the Rouge River was another crowd magnet. There was a fair variety of fish to catch but the salmon weren't in the picture yet.

The same with the Beaver. One reason why I quit river fishing 30 years ago. Fished the main lake instead.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

....But, the quantity of people couldn't be as much as today?! Today, people use internet... don't put in the leg work.

Lol picture what Bob said about the chorus line, only with two dozen people drifting the fast water at the head of the Claybanks hole on Bronte. Hell on a weekend the most I've seen was eighty people fishing that one hole. The crowd would start to boo & heckle that one guy who had too much weight and kept hanging up on bottom (everybody is bouncing bottom, bobbers hadn't caught on yet).

One image stands out in my mind, you've got the dozen guys on both sides of the stream drifting the head, then much whooping & hollering as four guys come running through. Two are trying herd salmon out of the riffles, one is trying to scoop them up with a huge Lucky Strike blue poly net, and the fourth is running around with a rope stringer of atleast 15 fish tied to his waist filming it all on a 16mm home movie camera. Everybody stops their drift, let them run by, then in unison all throw back into the hole in perfect coordination without saying a word. That was 1986, crazy wild west fishing.

In before the NAZI mods shut down this thread too...

If you don't like the way the mods run the site, there is a little red button on the top of your browser that has an 'x' in it.

Click it and it makes all the pain go away. If you would like further conversation on this...please feel free to PM me.

We got off our arses and actually went to the streams. Many never leave the keyboard!

Agree with irishfield. The same thing has been happening for 30 years and yes, with just as many people. That said, there was a lot more water in the rivers back then and fish could move even in low water conditions. On Bronte, the fish could move through to Lowville very quickly. It wasn't uncommon to see hords of salmon in mid august up in Lowville. Those days are long gone....