Merc 20Hp Experiances

NAW

I have an opportunity to pick up two Merc 20Hp motors for a decent price. (very decent price)

However… One has no spark, and the other has no reverse and hood. I figure I should be able to make one good running motor, and have a decent parts motor to boot. It should make for a nice winter project.

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone here run that motor, and if so, what is your opinion on their performance/reliability?

2. Are new parts readily available for them?

3. How are they on GAS?

4. How are they for trolling?

5. Do they have the slip clutch prop, or shear pin?

Any advice on these motors would be great. I'm going to check both of them out on Sunday.

Thanks

Edited by F to the Is-H

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone here run that motor, and if so, what is your opinion on their performance/reliability? Used them before, was stranded a number of times in the St Lawrence

2. Are new parts readily available for them? Lots of parts, always being fixed, can't get it right the first time

3. How are they on GAS? About as good or bad as any other 2 stroke.

4. How are they for trolling? Ring ting ting, cough cough, sputter.

5. Do they have the slip clutch prop, or shear pin? Older ones had shear pins.

Honestly, I'd never buy a Merc product, never had any luck with them. Bring 50 feet of good rope, they make good black anchors. Unless they are bordering on a "gift", I would never take one and only if I had something else as a backup.

I'm not a merc guy but my buddy has a 20.Never had a problem with it.One thing I like about it is the shift is in the handle and you don't have to swing around more to engage or disengage the gear lever.Wish my Johnson had that.Other than that they are all usually good motors just depends on how they were previously used.

Kerry

I'm not a Merc guy either, but I will give you my honest opinion without purposely bashing them. I have repaired and sold a few old Mercs and I currently have one of the subject motors on my rack. I have a low opinion of most 1960-80's Mercs as my experiences with them have been mostly negative. But keep in mind that some people love them. There must be a reason for that, too.

The Mercs of the 1970-80's are decent motors. Many are still in service and work great. Many do not. From my experience, they can be hard to start. Mercs are also better for cruising and wide open throttle (WOT) running than trolling. As said, they are not known as fishing motors because they often don't idle down low very well. They're reputation was built on speed not trolling. With that said, my Merc 20 hp seems to start and idle fine, but others I have seen do not. Mercs can be both extremely reliable and down right tempermental. It doesn't seem to matter how well they were maintained. Some are just fussy.

Parts are available, but can be expensive. The driveshafts were made of steel (not stainless steel) until the early-mid 1970's and are often corroded and pitted. This may cause cooling problems (water pump not sealing) or drive problems (driveshaft splines rust out). Mercs require some special mercanic tools mostly for the lower unit.

If its a good deal and you feel confident that you can repair them then go for it. You might end up with one good motor out of it. I always say I'll never buy another one and its always a lie.

Dad had two 20 hp Merc`s, one as I recall was a late 60`s motor, the other mid to late 70`s? Two different boat involved. One bought new, the late 60`s motor, one used but barely.

I used them both, fishing motors for us, when we were on the water we were fishing. Really no problems with either. Dad had the second one until he died in 1991, then mom gave his boat, motor, and trailer to my youngest brother. No problems for him either but sold in a few years as he upgraded?

I know dad and me trolled with them a lot, no problems.

I own a 1978 20 hp merc. Bought it used in 1984 and have used it yearly ( 100-200 hrs per season ) It is not a great trolling motor. I can't get it to troll slow enough without stalling. That being said, I usually use a drift sock if in rougher conditions or my 4hp kicker. It usually starts on 3rd or 4th pull when cold. It has never been in the shop. I have had to change impeller twice. The spark plugs are changed every 2-3 years. Have not found it that hard on gas, but have not been able to compare it to another brand of same hp. I have found that the props seem to have to be fixed every 3-4 years. there is not a shear pin on mine, but a rubber styp clutch built into prop.That seems to wear out and start to slip .

Besides that I can't complain too much. It has served me quite well and I have never been stranded. At the end of season I pull plugs and squirt oil and pull over engine. I change lower oil 2-3 times per season just to make sure there is no water inside. Thats all the maintenance I have had to do. I probably put a bit too much oil in my gas, but I would rather have to change plugs a bit more often than burn engine. Maybe this has helped motor last. Can't really say much bad about the engine I have. It seems like a lot of people don't have much good to say about Mercs, but I've been pretty happy with mine.

Good Luck:

xcal

Thanks for all the comments!

I was going to buy the motors, but when I called the first guy, he had already made the sale to someone else.

No deal.

I'll hold out untill I find a newer 20 to 25 Hp motor for sale or trade. Something with a little better reviews.

Thanks again,