Fall Musky and Pickerel Fishing

wask

So I've been a bass fisherman all of my life, moving up here from the south. The only other fishing I had done was some small stream trout fishing with small spinning rods and fly fishing.

Now i've been here for a few years and have avoided really getting set up to fish for pickerel and musky, mainly out of ignorance and not looking for help. I've caught a grand total of one of each, neither on purpose.

What setups do I need for these fish?

Pickerel

My understanding is just a spinning reel for pickerel, does the rod type matter? Line size?

Musky

I have a Shimano Corsair with a 7ft MH Gorilla Stick and 17LB test. Will that do the trick?

I have a roll of Steel-on leader material, can I just tie my leaders from that stuff?

Yeah, I'm a newbie about all of this stuff, thanks for the tips, sorry for all of the questions...

So I've been a bass fisherman all of my life, moving up here from the south. The only other fishing I had done was some small stream trout fishing with small spinning rods and fly fishing.

Now i've been here for a few years and have avoided really getting set up to fish for pickerel and musky, mainly out of ignorance and not looking for help. I've caught a grand total of one of each, neither on purpose.

What setups do I need for these fish?

Pickerel

My understanding is just a spinning reel for pickerel, does the rod type matter? Line size?

Musky

I have a Shimano Corsair with a 7ft MH Gorilla Stick and 17LB test. Will that do the trick?

I have a roll of Steel-on leader material, can I just tie my leaders from that stuff?

Yeah, I'm a newbie about all of this stuff, thanks for the tips, sorry for all of the questions...

For Pickerel, use Jigs with Stinger hooks on a spinning setup. Definitely use a leader of sorts.

For Musky, I don't think 17lb test will cut it. They are beasts.

My dad uses 80lb test when fishing for musky :)

For Pickerel, use Jigs with Stinger hooks on a spinning setup. Definitely use a leader of sorts.

For Musky, I don't think 17lb test will cut it. They are beasts.

My dad uses 80lb test when fishing for musky :)

17 lb is really pushing it -- probably fine for a 36 incher but if you get something in the mid 40's or above you'll be kicking yourself. You'll either snap the line and lose the fish (and it'll swim away with a hook in its mouth) or even if you are successful landing it you'll likely wear it out and won't be able to release it.

Muskies have tons of power, but they aren't a salmon. If you have a long drawn-out fight with a musky its chances of surviving release drops waaaay off. You need to get it in quickly...kind of hard on 17 lb test.

The rest seems fine. If it workls bettter for your reel try 50lb test (80 makes sense if you're trolling, and/or using MASSIVE lures). Even 40 might do the trick. If you get powerpro or something like it, it won't be much different from using 20lb test mono....

also, assuming you don't have any baits for musky, i would go with 2 or 3 of....

A big black jerk bait.....suicks are most popular. I like bobbie baits better. Bait will rest on (or near) the surface. Reel it in with big violent jerks, it'll dive down erratically, splashing lots of water....reel in the slack, and repeat.

A big minnow bait like a believer or a grandma. You can troll or reel in, or even use with an erratic jerk retrieve.

Maybe a glide bait like a hellhound or manta.

Big spinners and spinnerbaits are used less in the fall....if you do try them, get soemthing with big/mutliple blades and reel much slower than you would in the summer. A nice slow roll.

Also, in spite of what you might read, you do not need a leader when walleye fishing. Pike and muskie (esox) have sharp edged teeth and can easily cut through line. Walleye on the other hand have conical teeth and would very rarely cut through line. The only time I might use a leader while walleye fishing is when the water is pike infested. It doesn't happen often at all.

When i first started fishing musky i had pretty much the same set up you have same reel and a 6'6 gorilla stick. I used 20lb power pro with 24 inch leaders to troll and never lost a fish and boated my pb a 52 1/2 incher on it. along with 15 others that summer get a good 85 to 100lb floro leader and you shouldnt have any issues.