Walleye Report - The bite is on!

LucG

I had the opportunity to head out on Nipissing last night for a short fish after work. With no hesitation I accepted, and decided to take my brother along with me since he had never caught a walleye.

We got to our spot at about 6:00 pm. The wind was blowing towards the NE at about 10 km/h so we decided to use it to our advantage and drift. It was moving us exactly where we wanted to go. The shoal started at around 23 ft and we would drift down to 35, and start over. On the first pass my bro nails one at about 28 ft., an that was the story of the night. On every pass we hit at least one. All between 25 & 28 ft, 6-10 inches off the bottom using jigs and worms. By 7:30 we had 7 nice fish and decided to call it a night and head back home to clean some fish.

Here's my bro with his first ever walleye. For some reason he dosent look very happy, but he was exstatic to catch his first walleye, and a beauty too. It was just 1/4" under the slot size. I think we spent more time trying to get an accurate measurment then he did bringing it in. lol ...and yes, we pinched the tail...lol

dsc01950g.jpg

The catch of the night. My bro was just amazed at the action we had, none stop all night, well for the hour and a half we were out...lol

We also managed to hook onto several bass, sheaphead and of course, the pesky perch. Would have taken more pictures, but there was honestly no time. If I had left my rod unattended for seconds, I would miss a hit. And there's no way I was going to take a line out of the water to take pics...lol

dsc01951u.jpg

BTW...Thanks OFC, this place is great!

Edited by LucG

Thanks for the great report.That's great news.I'm surprised they were that far off of the bottom and still that active! Sounds like I might have to take a short trip north this week. :D

Jack.

I'm sorry !!!! :worthy: That was a typo...I meant to say "6-10 INCHES off the bottom"

I hope everyone that has read this thread will re-read it...lol :dunno:

So...if a guy was to hook up the boat and drive 4 1/2 hours to North Bay where his daughter lives, to go walleye fishing with her, would he launch downtown, or would he have to drive another hour after that to get to fish?

haha...I may be wrong, but it seems as if you are asking if they are biting at the waterfront yet. lol

My answer is I am not sure. There havent been any boats there but the odd few. We didnt bother trying cause we knew we could get the fish other places. It usually takes us about 10-15 min to reach our destination with a 50hp Yamaha. You do the math.

haha...I may be wrong, but it seems as if you are asking if they are biting at the waterfront yet. lol

My answer is I am not sure. There havent been any boats there but the odd few. We didnt bother trying cause we knew we could get the fish other places. It usually takes us about 10-15 min to reach our destination with a 50hp Yamaha. You do the math.

That works for me..I have a 60.....Hey Sarah...dads coming for a visit.

Do I head east or west from the launch?