Red River Cats

troutologist

After a temperature of 36 on saturday I was looking forward to a bit of a breeze to cool things off. I guess I should have been careful what was wished for.

Got out in the morning yesterday on the Red for some catfish action. Got anchored in a likely spot. Baited up with some shrimp and played the waiting game. Soon enough there was some action. Lots of little bites from small fish of unknown identity. We got 2 cats around the same size. 32"...babies im told but they sure pull hard.

Jay_catfishing_001.JPG

While holding onto my fish for a picture it gave me a good vise grip on the thumb, as seen in my whoa that kinda hurts face.

Jay_catfishing_003.JPG

Well after this the wind decided that 40km wasnt enough and was gusting 70km+. This made anchoring very tough and loading the boat on the trailer at a ramp perpendicular to the wind also fun.

I was unsure if I would like fishing for these brutes, but its a pretty relaxing way to fish and they sure fight. Actually, this type of fishing is tailormade for the hangover.

Whats a trout?

Ya we were out in a boat just a couple bends down from the damn. Got out early before the crowds came. Those pelicans keeps on running into my line when I was fishing at the damn at night. Keeped my awake anyways.

Mike, Im here for a while now. At least a couple years. the job I got is exactly what I want to be doing. Im going to miss steelheading, but hope to chase some muskies this fall on LOTW. Keep me updated on those trips, I get alot of OT banked and will travel for fish!

Mike, Im here for a while now. At least a couple years. the job I got is exactly what I want to be doing. Im going to miss steelheading, but hope to chase some muskies this fall on LOTW. Keep me updated on those trips, I get alot of OT banked and will travel for fish!

Didn't realize the new job entailed a move to Winnipeg. Good for you though, nice to see you get ahead in your field!

I used to fish the assinaboine (sp) pretty mcuh every night in teh summer when I lived there. In the area near tuxedo. I used to take a 2 min bike ride and catch some smaller cats and a bunch of other fish.

I also used to go to whiteshell area. Big pike and nice walleye. Those places are near enough to winnipeg.

I went to a cottage one weekend up in the Pas on clear lake and did very well with big northerns but that is like a 5 hour drive. LOTW is reasonable for a good weekend trip

Thanks for the info Cudz. Its always a learning curve moving to a new area. I've got a great place to fish a 5 min bike ride from my place (st marys and perimeter) but the mosquitoes have been so bad in the evenings its tough to put in any time. Hopefully we'll get some cool weather that will kill some off. Im also impatiently waiting for a boat to be delivered so I can go further afield.

Can't wait to track down some of those big greenbacks in the red this fall either.

I've seen old TV shows and read aboot HUGE cats on the Red River!!!... you should try large chunks of cut bait (Moon Eye or Sucker), and even large live sucker minnows... the bigger the better!!!

Big frozen nasty smelly Pike baits like frozen Mackerals and Anchovies are also excellent!!!

Those are some "Killer" baby cats!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post that very nice report!!!

I've seen old TV shows and read aboot HUGE cats on the Red River!!!... you should try large chunks of cut bait (Moon Eye or Sucker), and even large live sucker minnows... the bigger the better!!!

Big frozen nasty smelly Pike baits like frozen Mackerals and Anchovies are also excellent!!!

Those are some "Killer" baby cats!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post that very nice report!!!

I'm with Dawg,most all of the big ones are caught on slabs of cut bait.Very nice kitties though.

Joe