Hold Question for Pike and Musky Guys

Andy

I was wondering if I have the hold down right. I slide my fingers under the gill plate, low and to the front, locking on to the hard, lower, inside part of the gill plate with my thumb sort of lying in that notch between the lower inside and outside part of the plate, bottom of hand resting along the outside of the gill plate. Occasionally, the the fish thrashes about, and when I grab on tight so as not to drop the fish, my fingertips poke through the thin membrane between the lower inside part and the outside edge of the gill plate. Is this normal, and/or harmful to the fish? Or am I to put the thumb pressure on the outside of the gill plate, which would push my fingertips farther into the gill area? I would imagine the fish recover from the damage quick, it never bleeds or anything. I'm going try take more photos of the fish in the net, or on release more often, but there will be times where I'm still gonna want a picture of me holding a bigger fish and getting a measurement. The smaller fish still get clamped from the top behind the gills. Thoughts?

I actually have a couple of "boga" type grippers, but have never used them. I figure that kind of holder, although safer for me, will do more damage to a thrashing fish than my hand. As far as lipping them, it would take a lot of whisky, or the down south equivalent, to make me think that would be a good idea. Or maybe you're just tougher than me. I'd like to see ya try it!

Edited by Andy

Hey Andy,

I know what you're talking about. I think the thing to do is don't curl your fingers around so tight when inside the mouth so they pop through if the fish trashes.. Try to just make a J with your fingers the next time.

I wouldn't use the boga grip on a big fish either, both hands, quick pic and back in the drink.