OT Tree Cutting

musky_man

HI,

I checked the Classifieds here and did a search, but could not find anyone ... but I thought I'd ask ... anyone on the board do this kind of work. My neighbour and I have 3 Chinese Elm (height 60 feet, diameter ~ 14 inches) and 4 very small Maples (diameter 3-4 inches -- more twig than tree because they get no sun) to have cut down. East York area.

We are on a ravine, so I am hoping I can leave the wood there.

Cash job -- prefer experienced, licenced person.

Please send me an email at:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by musky_man

I beleive that you will need a permit to remove any trees with more than a 12" diameter trunk. I think the fines can be up to $10,000 per tree.

There may be rules about what to do with the wood as well. I am not sure if you would be allowed to just leave it there. You may not be able to remove it from the area because of quarantine issues (emeral ash borers, etc.). The wood may have to destroyed at location. These things aren't simple any more.

Edited by JohnBacon

If the Chinese elms are healthy, you will be hard pressed to get the removal permit, if as stated, there are restrictions. 25 years back, City of Toronto did not like to see healthy trees brought down

Chinese elm, and the varous sub cultivars were introduced, in part, to stem the spread of DED. The results have been modest, but they reseed far quicker than native elms and are relatively fast growers.

Thanks -- I have being doing more research and I have a better picture. They certainly are fast growers - about twice as tall as when I moved here. I concerned that in a storm they will go over.

The Norway Maple are getting so thick that nothing else can grow. They are a second tier invasive species and cause soils erosion ...that I can believe. My neignbours is hard pressed to grow 2 blades of grass.

Anyway -- thanks again for the feedback.

If the Chinese elms are healthy, you will be hard pressed to get the removal permit, if as stated, there are restrictions. 25 years back, City of Toronto did not like to see healthy trees brought down

Chinese elm, and the varous sub cultivars were introduced, in part, to stem the spread of DED. The results have been modest, but they reseed far quicker than native elms and are relatively fast growers.

I live in Scarborough and I had a huge poplar cut down a few years ago with no problems. The catch, it was dead. Good luck in trying to get your tree cut down. There's a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through to get any tree 12" in diameter removed in TO.

If they won't let you cut it down because it's living....kill it !

A sneaky trick is to flip up a section of bark in an unobtrusive place, bore a hole, pack it with copper sulphate then flip the bark back in place.

problem solved.

I had a number of these same type of trees around my house and was worried that they might fall on the house since many were leaning that way and a couple times branches had broke off and damaged the house, so i didn't want the whole tree(s) to fall on house. Some looked to have a poor base and might have been starting to rot. Much to my surprise they were solid trees and the stumps we tough too...all but two are gone now and they lean away from the house. They still managed to break off a large branch in a windstorm we had this summer and send the branch up over the tops of the tress and land it on my new gazebo. Those trees are back on my hit list.

Good luck with your tree cutting, i can just imagine what the city rules are on this.