Rules of Wading rivers on Private property?

bill smy

Hey all, i went to the notty to see what was happening and as I went to my favourite spot, i found it covered in no trespassing signs. I talked to other fisherman who were coming back and they just said that you have to stay in river and it doesnt matter. Is that true? I decided to go to another spot. To those who want to know how i did i caught lots of small rainbows and had 2 nooks on and 1 landed on the fly. Srry no pictures because of my bad memory of bringing the camera. Good to get out for a while. BIll.

Generally the riverbed is crown land. There are a very few exceptions. This issue is being handled by the Feds now...hopefully we get more clear and concise laws on it all.

I wouldn't say few exceptions. Lake Ontario tribs have mostly been ruled as "navigable" due to business interests using them from the 1800's on, but even then there's parcels of land that have private stretches, even on larger rivers like the Bronte & Credit. Once you're up to GBay then almost always the riverbed is private also.

It would depend on what stretch of the Notty the OP was on, if it was a smaller trib odds are there are private stretches. Only way to tell for sure is to look up the deed, a local real estate agent can help determine ownership fairly easily.

there are 8 pieces of property on the Notty including the Pine that I know of where the owner also owns stream bed that are private. 3 you ll never see anyone 1 you ll be politely asked to leave 1 as long as you dont act like a pig and drop a bottle of vodka you ll be ok 1 with a crazy old lady with a shot gun potentially pointed at you and a few others. Bottom line if you r not sure go to the local township title search the deed, or make a friend by knocking the door and ask forr access. Short of that the other option is to make him call the cops charge you, either he wins in court if he owns the land or you win with him getting charged with violating

your right to hunt and fish.....