Moon Phases

splashhopper

I went out last full moon, morning evening and night. One day 16 hours on the water. They say three days before and three days after. Not one fish? Last night with an east wind, we managed to pull in the largest walleye I have seen? Wind from the east, fish the least?

I look at it as if you don't have a line in the water, you're not gonna catch a fish. I don't pay much attention to the moon. Although it does make it easier to see.

I look at it as if you don't have a line in the water, you're not gonna catch a fish. I don't pay much attention to the moon. Although it does make it easier to see.

I think along the same lines....

It is just that i too had an amazing long weekend of fishing last eek and it was a full moon too... I fished the same places and at the same times and with the same baits....

but that week, the moon was full. .so it got me wondering

Last weekend was great for me too. I like to think it makes a difference. I'll be out next weekend as well,underthe new moon. Some claim it's an even bigger help......

The one thing the full/new moon does is boost my attitude.I get pretty enthused if the phase is thought to be favourable.

Edited by backbay

fishing with a full moon never worked out well for me to be honest

Not for me either. My worst fishing days seem to always coincide to when there is a full moon.

And another thing, after sundown, I have caught close to "zero" fish in over 60 years of fishing. Ok, fishing for catfish is another thing but for trout, landlocked salmon, walleye and pike....fishing when it's dark has not been good to me. Ok, I have caught lots of bass when fishing at night but where I live, there are no bass. I haven't been bass fishing in close to 30 years. I sure miss it too.

I have caught a few pike after sundown and I have had walleye bump into me when I was wading and I have caught a couple of brook trout when fishing with a small float but other than that.....I prefer waiting until daylight.

It's not that I don't try. I always get off the water when it's pitch black but after the sun has passed the horizon, I should profit from the last bit of light to pack up and go home.

Edited by Dabluz

full moon on a clear night makes it a lot easier to see, that said it never mattered to me, and didn`t seem to affect the bite. Had good nights fishing in all conditions and moon phases I fished, some poor ones also. can`t catch fish if you don`t go, supposed to be fun anyway! have fun or don`t play!

And another thing, after sundown, I have caught close to "zero" fish in over 60 years of fishing.
only kind of fish i remember catching after sundown is walleye carp and catfish. the walleye was in like october or november even, offshore, when we were certain that there were plenty of them in the area

Not for me either. My worst fishing days seem to always coincide to when there is a full moon.

And another thing, after sundown, I have caught close to "zero" fish in over 60 years of fishing.

If you look at the Joe Bucher moon charts the bite always dies as soon as the moon rises.

The best bite is always an hour or two before the sunsets and the moon rises.

Over many years of fishing i've seen it and believe it. Fishing shuts down while the moon is visible.

Check, Moon Up, Moon Down, by John Alden Knight. Full moon doesn't need to be overhead to make for a strong fishing day. Full moon down will give you a good bite. October 4 from 11:57 a.m. - 2:39 p.m. will be a good time to test it.

New moon up from noon until around 2 p.m. usually gives a strong period of activity. I won't be doing a shore lunch at that time. My lure will be wet.

Weather trumps moon phases. All full moons are not the same. All new moons are not the same.

Note how many trophy fish are caught the day of a new moon, the day of a full moon and two days before & after each. That gives us 10 good days a month, plus 2 strong bites on the two days of half moons (both waxing & waning).

I've been buying Rick Taylor's Prime Times Calendar for several years. I give him a call every year to report my fishing experiences.

Marc Thorpe makes a living fishing according to daily moon phases. He also stays current of barometric pressure. Girlfriends call him on his cell phone to report pressure changes. When Marc talks about being cut off that means he's not getting his barometric pressure reports.

Fish when you can, but give it a chance.

Yes,

Species specific.

Top water is great.

Always go black and you'll never go back.

(black is the highest visibility against the moonlit sky.....and pretty much anything)

3 days before and 3 after.

Wait for no moon after.

Go when you can, of course.

I used to do a lot of night fishing, just a lot less traffic on the water and the night bite on some lakes is better than the day bite. Bass fishing on some lakes at night can be great! Never had much luck at night for pike, never caught a steelhead at night(but didn`t really fish for them), that said caught most species of fish at night. Crappie fishing at night can also be great.