Four Days of Bassin' - Report and Pics

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Had a chance to spend four days on the water over the last five - here is how it went..

Day 1 - Friday

After working the overnight - and enjoying no sleep - knowing I was getting a chance to fish my favourite bass lake kept me from hitting the hay.

Tim and I towed the boat down early afternoon, and were making our first cast by 3pm. This afternoon/evening would be a scouting excursion, as we were hoping to put together a pattern for a full day of fishing come Saturday.

We worked our typical haunts - shallow and deep rock with a scattering of weeds and wood, docks and cribs, weed and rock humps, overhanging trees, and a couple of thick weed beds. All areas looked mint as always..

Although the weather had been stable all week, boat traffic was buzzing about at the start of the long weekend already. Can affect fishing when on a small lake.

Expecting a big bite, we were able to put numbers in the boat, but couldn't coax any exceptional piggies.

Here is a typical fish for this lake...caught on a flipping jig from wood:

Four09.jpg

We did put a number of these guys in the boat - we also lost a few jigs to them:

Four10.jpg

Here is big fish of the day - 3lb 14oz's. Fell for a flipping jig on wood/rock:

Four11.jpg

Enjoyed some topwater action just before dark, with a mixture of smallies and largies thrown into the mix. Tied up the boat to a dock and both of us made tracks to my folk's place for some cold beers and some long awaited sleep. High hopes were on our minds for the next day...

Total Fish - 35

Hours Fished - 5.5 hours

Day 2 - Saturday

On the lake by 8am...and anticipation was running high. Hit our high percentage spots once again. Although we picked up a fish here and there, the action certainly wasn't consistent. If truth be told, it was one of those "1 fish per spot" kinds of days.

Fished some incredible mill foil patches without a bite - that really had us scratching our heads.

Once noon hit the gong show commenced. This lake is renowned for mass numbers of pontoon boats taking leisurely drives around the lake - all within 50 feet of the shoreline. Certainly put some pressure on our fish.

We did find some sweet weed/rock humps far off shore. Picked up some largies, smallies, and pike. Will be hitting those again once the fall comes around..

Although we scraped up some fish, it wasn't the day both of us were hoping for. It was tough going for certain, and a bit of a reality kick to the old fishing nuts. Off the water at 5pm and home to drown our sorrows away...

Total Fish - 18

Hours Fished - 9

Day 3 - Monday

Decided to stick close to home base, and hit one of my small stretches of the Rideau River solo this day.

On the water at 1pm and decided to fish unexplored water. Definitely a good decision! Found a huge, weed-choked bay - covered in pads and slop:

Four06.jpg

Began tossing a frog and the action began immediately. Fish were super aggressive, and were engulfing the plastic amphibians like real prey:

Four07.jpg

Four08.jpg

Although this stretch of the river is famous for producing cookie-cutter fish of 2lbs - when they are hitting topwater, the size doesn't really matter..

All fish came from under dense slop mats, or any areas adjacent to them.

A couple of typical "slop fish"...

Four05.jpg

Four04.jpg

Best fish of the afternoon went 3lbs 2oz. Called it quits as the sun slowly set...

Total Fish - 19

Hours Fished - 6.5

Day 4 - Tuesday

With limited time to fish today, I opted to try something a little different on the water. Headed back to the same stretch of river and had a mini-tournament. Gave myself exactly three hours from blast-off to putting the boat on the trailer, and was curious to see if I could put a five-fish limit together.

Blast-off commenced at 9:45am. I quickly gained the hole shot...lol.

A quick four minute drive to my spot from yesterday and the competition began. Here is what my first spot looked like:

Four01.jpg

Here is a run down of the following three hours:

Fish 1 - 9:58am - 2lbs

Fish 2 - 9:59am - 2lb 5oz

Fish 3 - 10:24am - 2lb 2oz

Fish 4 - 10:36am - 1lb

Fish 5 - 10:51am - 1lb 2oz

Fish 6 - 10:55am - 2lbs

Fish 7 - 11:15am - 2lb 5oz

Fish 8 - 12:00pm - 11oz

Top Five Fish - 10lbs 12oz

Here is big fish of the tournament:

Four02.jpg

And the two biggest fish:

Four03.jpg

All fish came on the frog, except one on the flipping jig. The first two fish were on back-to-back casts, which was kind of cool.

Due to the overcast morning, most fish were caught on the flat and off from the slop.

After my last fish at noon, and with 45 minutes left to fish, I made the costly error of running down river to fish some undercut cat tails - all in hopes of putting a "kicker" in the boat. Big mistake, as nothing was home.

Was another fun few hours catching bass...and you've got to love that!

Total Fish - 8

Hours Fished - 3

The Magnesium "Jig N Toad" rod by Kistler was awesome for tossing and hooking fish with these frogs. Super light weight, loads up well, and casts a mile...I only missed two fish in two days, and only had one come unpegged before getting her in the boat. Definitely worth a look for those with frogs on the mind...

Well, that sums up my four days of fishing. Was good to get the "bass thumb" back....and looking forward to catching some real piggies this fall.

Heading back to my "big fish" lake this coming Monday - really looking forward to this trip!

Good Fishing,

Justin