More Info on Crestliner Boat Recall

craigdritchie

A few weeks ago there was a post concerning Crestliner Boats issuing a recall on aluminum fishing boats that do not meet Coast Guard requirements for level flotation. Brunswick Corp., which owns Crestliner, apparently discovered this problem while making a new model prototype from an existing hull, when someone did the math and figured out there wasn't enough foam under the floor.

It now turns out this recall is a bit more extensive, and involves boats sold since model year 2000. Models affected include portions of the Fish Hawk series, the Canadian series, Kodiak series, the 1850 Sportfish SST, 1650 Sport Angler and 192 Tournament Series. If you own one of these boats, from model year 2000 to present, you need to contact your Crestliner dealer with the serial number to see if your boat is affected. It doesn't matter if you bought it new or used. If your boat is subject to the recall, then over the winter you will need to have them install the update kit that will bring the boat up to Coast Guard spec. I am told this should not affect storage space in your boat.

It's important to note that the affected boats are still safe and are not going to sink. I've been told by Brunswick spokespeople that in many cases the discrepancy is within a few CCs of where it needs to be. Still, standards are standards, and they need to be met.

Brunswick Corporation bought Crestliner from Genmar Corp. in 2005. Genmar Corp. is now bankrupt, so guess who's left holding the bag on this one? Kudos to Brunswick for doing the right thing, and voluntarily looking after this situation at their (considerable) expense.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

thanks for the info craig. do you have somewhere online or a phone number where i can look into this for my in law's boat? i believe his is a fishhawk 1750?

Thanks for the info. I don't see my 2004 1600 Angler listed but it's worth giving them a call.

The dealer I bought from (White Water Marine) is long gone, but I believe Gateway Marine is now the Crestliner dealer around Peterborough. I'll check the dealer locator.

I just spoke with Gateway and was told that pretty well every Crestliner model since 2000 is subject to recall.

They just wanted the serial #, name and phone number, they will order the kit and let me know when I can bring the boat in. It's a real easy job he said and fully covered by Crestliner.

I believe the problem lies with a change in coast guard standards or a misinterpretation of those standards. In other words the boats were built to float full of water but need to float full of water with all the motor and equipment installed. And there are some models exempt of this recall, I know the Super Hawk aka Mirage aka Serenity are not affected.

I was also told not only Cresliner has to deal with this problem.