topwater walleyes!

frozen-fire

Went out to my favourite lake again for a couple hours of sundown fishing.

Was very surprised at how the walleye were on fire... even taking our topwaters!

Had a lot of fun for 15 minutes when a school of them came in and smashed our lures. Trolled around looking for them afterward, but they were only there for a few minutes it seemed like.

In total we caught about 4 bass, 3 walleye, and a handful of crappie as well.

Went back out again yesterday since it was so good out on the 31st, only to be confronted with a lot of floating weeds everywhere.

Managed 3 bass and only 1 walleye...

hooked into a huge muskie that took my current favourite lure :(

3886415626_3f6f48313b_o.jpg

I have never had walleye come up and hit so aggressively at the surface. They fought hard too!

Ribbet, Ribbet

The migration is on.

Nice haul, you can have a blast with the crappie using a float and night stik when the bite dies off for the eyes.

Being a frog guy and having took amphibian courses in University, I say it's still early for frogs to migrate to hibernation areas. :) It's getting to 10-13C overnight and you can still hear the odd green frog calling out.

I've always thought about whipping out the UL gear and float fish for crappies, but it seems like they're already hitting the hard baits anyways. I can probably get into more of them with that approach though.

Being a frog guy and having took amphibian courses in University, I say it's still early for frogs to migrate to hibernation areas. :) It's getting to 10-13C overnight and you can still hear the odd green frog calling out.

From what I saw on the water recently on one Kawartha lake, the fish would disagree with the Theroy part of it. :)

Hmmm...so should I be chuck topwater frogs out there in the dark? Let me know! :D

The topwaters that caught the eyes were mimicking fish.

If using a frog lure would give you more confidence, go for it.

But, IMHO, I don't think the fish care.

IF the lure has the right silhouette, causes the right commotion (not too much/little) and right sizing for conditions - your golden. Especially with topwaters in 2 /3 ft of water.

More lures are made to catch fishermen, then fish.

Edited by Harrison

If using a frog lure would give you more confidence, go for it.

But, IMHO, I don't think the fish care.

IF the lure has the right silhouette, causes the right commotion (not too much/little) and right sizing for conditions - your golden. Especially with topwaters in 2 /3 ft of water.

More lures are made to catch fishermen, then fish.

I agree 100% with the whole colour shape thing at night. At night it is often a reaction strike. The fish won't even see the beautiful leapard frog paint job. I do look for slightly darker colours though and I think there can be lures that are too noisy at times and those that are not noisy enough at other times. I always like fishing with someone else in the boat at night. Aside from it being safer we often throw different topwater baits until someone is really outfishing the other person then we both throw the same bait. I guess it is the fish telling us what kind of comotion they want to eat.