cant catch a dang salmon :(

redneck666

hey folks, heres my story:

I went fishing a couple days in a row including last night. i watched a few people bring in some nice salmon (one was brought in on a spoon of some sort and i dont know the rest). one guy brought in a very nice walleye on a rapala (he was hoggin all the fish! lol).

anyhow i was just wondering whats working for you shore fisherman in sault ste. marie on the st. mary's river, for 'eyes and salmon?

i had my cell on me too, shoulda took a pic of that beautiful walleye.

i've also tried a 2/5oz little cleo, a spawn sac with a hildabrant spinner, plain spawn sack and hook, glow in the dark and pink/white twister tails.

JP

Edited by bigredneck

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

with the salmon i'd recommend a combo of heavy cleos and buzzbombs for shore fishing...it's not the strong year for the pink salmon (they run stronger every 2nd year)...that's a shame because pinks are a little easier to catch than chinooks from shore... you could also try some larger sized rapalas/bombers...

i spent a lot of time fishing walleye downtown... the key is finding the current breaks near points and backeddy's... suspending crankbaits like the husky jerk and x rap work very well...especially in clown, ghost colours.... do this after dark as in the evenings they come so shallow they are almost right at your feet sometimes. there are TONS of walleye downtown... when i used to go down there all the time 10-15 fish evenings were not uncommon.

with the salmon i'd recommend a combo of heavy cleos and buzzbombs for shore fishing...it's not the strong year for the pink salmon (they run stronger every 2nd year)...that's a shame because pinks are a little easier to catch than chinooks from shore... you could also try some larger sized rapalas/bombers...

i spent a lot of time fishing walleye downtown... the key is finding the current breaks near points and backeddy's... suspending crankbaits like the husky jerk and x rap work very well...especially in clown, ghost colours.... do this after dark as in the evenings they come so shallow they are almost right at your feet sometimes. there are TONS of walleye downtown... when i used to go down there all the time 10-15 fish evenings were not uncommon.

wow, lol thank god for guys like you!

i havent had the greatest fishing season since ice-out, i always seem to embarras myself in one way another when im out haha.

thanks for the info. guys!

JP

Edited by bigredneck

Salmon. Marshmallow big hook. Feel something and reel like snot.

If that doesn't work try a big weighted trebble hook. You don't even need bait for this one.

lol!

On a more serious note.

I usually throw cleos.

If you want to change it up and be different, try this. chrome and blue rattlin spot or rattlin rap. I know it sounds weird but I have caught several using them. I think the noise of the rattles bothers them.

all i have to say is ....ITS DOESENT MATTER WHAT YOU PRESENT .....MAKE SURE YOU PRESENT IT PROPERLY ....then and only then ....you will find the difference between catching fish ....and taking pics of other peoples phish....

presentation ....presentation ...presentation ....need i say more about presentation????

Salmon. Marshmallow big hook. Feel something and reel like snot.

If that doesn't work try a big weighted trebble hook. You don't even need bait for this one.

lol!

lol! well ive snagged them in the rapids before with a big spoon.... almost got caught so needless to say i fish for them properly now. and i've heard about the marshmellow thing for steelhead but does it really work for salmon?

and im gunna try a spawn sac with a slip sinker and see if that works.

JP

lol! well ive snagged them in the rapids before with a big spoon.... almost got caught so needless to say i fish for them properly now. and i've heard about the marshmellow thing for steelhead but does it really work for salmon?

and im gunna try a spawn sac with a slip sinker and see if that works.

JP

Yes people do it for salmon as well, but don't do it. It is dirty indeed.