Fishing room??

cuzza

Buy a boat.. no issues :)

Until you lose a couple hundred dollars worth of lead core your canonballs from a sail boat who thinks that cutting across your lines is their moral obligation because you dare to use a motor to troll....

Or somebody near you sees you with a fish and then gets on the radio. Soon you are in a virtual marina 10 miles from shore. LOL

I don't do any elbow-to-elbow river fishing, C2F, so I'm intrigued by this comment. Can you elaborate?

I do agree that "meat hunting" (i.e. fishing to eat fish) is not a bad thing. Actually I think it's a little aberrant to fish and NOT eat fish. :P

I fish a lot with guys who have been bottom fishing certain holes in rivers for over 20 yrs. Lately the word got out about these spots on the net. Now we constantly have C and R guys drive up from the big smoke and try to take over the whole river. It never seems to matter to them that we there bottom fishing at 3:30AM while they got in just after light.... So then it becomes a contest of who can outlast the other. If the C and R guys hang around which is only if the fishing is good they will stay all day catching and releasing as many as they can. Where as us River meat hunters are only looking for one salmon and a maxium of two bows.

I always wonder who actually kills more fish in the long run? Someone who goes out 2 to 3 times a season and keeps maybe 6 fish max or someone who through the season catches well over a hundred but "releases" them?

I fish a lot with guys who have been bottom fishing certain holes in rivers for over 20 yrs. Lately the word got out about these spots on the net. Now we constantly have C and R guys drive up from the big smoke and try to take over the whole river. It never seems to matter to them that we there bottom fishing at 3:30AM while they got in just after light.... So then it becomes a contest of who can outlast the other. If the C and R guys hang around which is only if the fishing is good they will stay all day catching and releasing as many as they can. Where as us River meat hunters are only looking for one salmon and a maxium of two bows.

I always wonder who actually kills more fish in the long run? Someone who goes out 2 to 3 times a season and keeps maybe 6 fish max or someone who through the season catches well over a hundred but "releases" them?

Well I think those fish are more resiliant than you may think. Let me just clarify that I have no problem at all with somone keeping a fish for the table as long as they are doing it legally and legit. Sounds like you are from some northern area to the GTA. Down here, you see alot of peeps intentionally trying to snag fish because they want to eat them. There are also those that slaughter for eggs and leave the meat to rot. The simple long and short of it is that Lake O pacific salmon have been deemed unfit for human consumption. Anyone that eats them is obviously doing it by choice and that is their right. I have caught a fresh salmon in the mouth on a fly with 5 or 6 #4-6 hooks in its tail most likely from bottom bouncers and that fish fought quite well. There is always someone down this way that wants to eat one, so I dont mind giving one or 2 away per year as long as its a female. ;)

Regarding the catch and release argument killing more fish, how do you apply that to other species, like lets say, Bass, Pike or Musky? and I should mention that much larger tackle and hooks are used on those ones which often causes bleeding. Heck, there is a post on the front page right now of a 7lb largemouth that was caught, kept out of the water for well over a minute with videos and pics and running around between docks to find a camera in the dark. Nothing but congrats were showered, and Bass are native fish, not stockers for pure sportfishing. Just curious on the thoughts??? BTW,...no offence to MTB, I would have done the same..Lol...I just to see if the same argument here applies to more than one or 2 species.

Cheers,

Wow kind of gives me Memories of fishing for Salmon on the Vedder River in BC. One side is DND property where I was, on the other side Public. Seems people fish the holes and they have names. Well I watched a great scrap and the guy I was voting for got the fish and won the fight. He lands a salmon, and brings it back from shore to take the hook out and his neighbor parks himself at the very spot the fish catcher caught his fish. After some yelling a good fight broke out and the smaller guy just laid it into him. That kind of fishing doesn't turn me on, I like Solitude, Peace and quiet, but mostly fish that bite to eat. No Im with you though, I would never thing of fishing where my rod may chuck someone in the mouth.

Regarding the catch and release argument killing more fish, how do you apply that to other species, like lets say, Bass, Pike or Musky? and I should mention that much larger tackle and hooks are used on those ones which often causes bleeding. Heck, there is a post on the front page right now of a 7lb largemouth that was caught, kept out of the water for well over a minute with videos and pics and running around between docks to find a camera in the dark. Nothing but congrats were showered, and Bass are native fish, not stockers for pure sportfishing. Just curious on the thoughts??? BTW,...no offence to MTB, I would have done the same..Lol...I just to see if the same argument here applies to more than one or 2 species.

Cheers,

You are correct about me not fishing Lake O or its tribs.

Salmon are a put and take fish and whatever happens that is LEGAL is fine with me.

I think C and R for steel head is different from other species for a couple of reasons.

One, if you are river fishing for them they usually heading into spawning mode. That makes them more vulnerable and easier to harm, because they are under the stress that spawning puts on them. I don't know of too many musky fishermen who fish them during their spawning runs same goes for bass unless it is up north where they are a nuisance fish anyway so it doesn't matter as long as the ministry guidelines are being followed.

What makes me really concerned about fall fishing in the rivers for steel in recent years is the fact we are finding more than a few of the female trout are fall spawners on the Huron tribs. I have seen a lot of females that had loose eggs as early as November 1st in the past two years. Also just after ice out on a couple of rivers we have seen females dropping back that have spawned when the water temperature was not close to being high enough in the spring, in the second or third week of February in some cases. So one has to assume she spawned in the fall when it was and waited out the winter up river.

The other reason is I see a lot of C and R steelhead guys using new roe sacks every third cast if it doesn't get a hit it is torn off and new one is put on..... Where do they get all this roe from? I am sure most of them don't have a trout hatchery in their backyard and to buy it from a tackle shop would cost a small fortune at the rate they go through the stuff. So at some point they are havesting fish in most cases. I have seen some even milk a fish and try to release it. I told them to take the fish home as they have probably killed it anyhow, and it is the law. That gets a lot of blank stares.... I just don't get how they can act so morally superior to a meat hunter when they stand there all day and hook maybe 10 to 20 fish that even with a 10 percent mortality rate is going to mean they have killed more fish that the meat hunter who might take his limit of two home and actually use them.

You are correct about me not fishing Lake O or its tribs.

Salmon are a put and take fish and whatever happens that is LEGAL is fine with me.

I think C and R for steel head is different from other species for a couple of reasons.

One, if you are river fishing for them they usually heading into spawning mode. That makes them more vulnerable and easier to harm, because they are under the stress that spawning puts on them. I don't know of too many musky fishermen who fish them during their spawning runs same goes for bass unless it is up north where they are a nuisance fish anyway so it doesn't matter as long as the ministry guidelines are being followed.

What makes me really concerned about fall fishing in the rivers for steel in recent years is the fact we are finding more than a few of the female trout are fall spawners on the Huron tribs. I have seen a lot of females that had loose eggs as early as November 1st in the past two years. Also just after ice out on a couple of rivers we have seen females dropping back that have spawned when the water temperature was not close to being high enough in the spring, in the second or third week of February in some cases. So one has to assume she spawned in the fall when it was and waited out the winter up river.

The other reason is I see a lot of C and R steelhead guys using new roe sacks every third cast if it doesn't get a hit it is torn off and new one is put on..... Where do they get all this roe from? I am sure most of them don't have a trout hatchery in their backyard and to buy it from a tackle shop would cost a small fortune at the rate they go through the stuff. So at some point they are havesting fish in most cases. I have seen some even milk a fish and try to release it. I told them to take the fish home as they have probably killed it anyhow, and it is the law. That gets a lot of blank stares.... I just don't get how they can act so morally superior to a meat hunter when they stand there all day and hook maybe 10 to 20 fish that even with a 10 percent mortality rate is going to mean they have killed more fish that the meat hunter who might take his limit of two home and actually use them.

I personally do not Kill Rainbow trout for meat or eggs, nor milk them for eggs, I also dont change a rowbag every 2-3 drifts. I actually use salmon eggs for the most part if i even use eggs. I tend to use alot of flies and pink worms. In addition, I do everything in my power to release the fish properly so she takes off like a bullet. I also prefer the G-Bay tribs, but its sometimes hard to argue with the numbers and sizes that some of the lake O tribs offer. Im Not defending any of the tactics you mentioned. but I would still aregue more fish are killed in the pursuit of meat than anything else, ESPECIALLY on some of the northern tribs. I guess we have each had our own experiences, hence the no kill zone that came into place along the notty. Again, no issues here with anyone taking one for the table, I just dont prefer it unless I give it to a friend who really wants it and that might be once a year. Regarding rainbows, I would much rather see that female make 1000's of little ones. we should also keep in mind the reason the fish are here in the first place. Regarding what you said about Fall spawning, it is my understanding that the majority of the fish the come up in the fall hold all winter and then spawn in the spring.