puppy help needed......health issue

bow slayer

My family after saying goodbye in June to our 15 year old yellow lab decided recently to get another pup. We picked one out about 4 weeks ago(golden retriever) and yesterday was suppose to be pick-up day. The problem is the breeder called us the night before telling us our pup the only one of a litter of 8 had come down with a case of "puppy strangles". After talking to the vet treating her and our own plus googling it we are still not sure what to think.

My question is has anyone had or known of a pup that had this condition and what was the outcome? We have visited her regularly since we picked her and are already attached. We are worried about long range health problems and scarring. Any info would be wonderful. thanks

I'm no expert in dogs but I bumped across this as a freind at work had a golden pup with it. After a lengthy and costly treatment pup is doing fine but not a great way to start off. That was a couple of years a go and as I underestand it's linked to the immune system and her dog has never been the healthiest. Always getting ear infections and they can't board it anymore as it gets kennel cough at the drop of a hat.

It might sound selfish but I'd recommend moving on to looking at a new pup. From a few websites I went and googled it sounds like it doesn't reoccur but the way it was written left me with a few doubts.

Our first choice in beagle pups came down with a bad cold and stopped eating. It went through the whole litter and the breeder I was dealing with insisted on us choosing a new pup.

As much as it would hurt, I think i would start looking elsewhere. This condition rarely reoccurs, but it is an auto-immune disorder and in order to combat it, they have to medicate the pup to shut its immune system down for awhile.

I have had several goldens, but never ran into this issue before. There is a lot at stake, and you really want to start off with a healthy pup.

I would move on IMO.

You may be a little attched to this pup, but it's a big gamble to buy a sick dog.

Being a previous dog owner yourself, I'm sure you know how expensive the vet bills can get :wallbash:

well after talking more to the vet and our own vet plus alot of researching on the net,talking to other pup owners who went through this we decided to bring the pup home. She is on meds for the next 2 weeks. She has no facial hair loss ,just a lump on the left shoulder that will heal completely. The vet feels they found it very early and started to treai it right away.She acts, eats,plays normal To look at her one would never know she is ill. Both vets have dealt with this before and all the dogs they treated completely healed and are normal healthy dogs. One is 10 years old now. To them the key is early treatment before facial hair loss is pronounced,even then the outlook is usually good. I will try to post some pics of her later.thanks for the replies.