Lady Evelyn Lake

SylvanOwner

Hey Fellers,

I may be going in to Lady Evelyn Lake for a few days after Labour Day and was looking for some pointers on fishing. I'm looking for walleye and a chance at a big pike although I'm happy to catch the bass that are in there as well. I'd be accessing at Mowat Landing and going into Lady Evelyn Lake and Sucker Gut Lake (love that name!!!!!).

My buddy knows the area fairly well as his folks have a lodge in the area so I'll be putting a map in front of him this week to have him help suggest camping and fishing spots but anything more I can get from others would be great as well. I'm told a trip up Maple Mountain (2nd highest point in Ontario) is a good way to spend some time and that it is possible some years to get into Diamond Lake without portaging - anyone know if this is the case this year?

thanks,

Dan

Not sure about diamond lake but I fished Evelyn and Sucker Gut several times and it's a tough fishing this time of year. If you can find a bathymetric chart for Evelyn, snatch it up!! We've met up with guys staying at Island 10 and they seem to do really well, but they usually have help from a guide..

I'd say fish the deeper edges during the day and work the inflows at dusk for walleye. Worm harnesses on bottom bouncers and white and red jig heads tipped with a twister tail or worm or chubb are a good choice. For pike, work slash baits and spoons off deep ledges adgacent to a good weedline (or vice-versa). Lots of snot rockets but the bigger fish are there.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!! Tell us how you make out.

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

I've fished diamond for years and based on the water level dropping through August you'll need a crane and a ton of keel gaurd to get any sized boat up over the rapids.

Fish deep for walleyes. 25-30 FT edges along points and rocky shores. At these depths watch your finder. You'll see fish laying on the bottom. As HD says work the areas with bottom bouncers with small gold, orange and red blades. I start small on the blades and go bigger if nothing is biting. The slow death hooks worked well for bass up on temagami.

Find the junky (wood/rock) shorelines for bass. 3" senkos have been goto bait for last 3-4 years up there. XRaps and torpedos for sure.