40hp Honda Lower End Removal

solopaddler

So shortly after I arrived home from work this morning my new to me motor was delivered.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined and with zero sleep, zero patience and the onset of a cold my skills are zero as well. :)

In any case I need to remove the lower end as there's some work that needs to be done on the cavitation plate.

There's a series of 5 bolts that come off then the lower unit can be pulled away a few inches.

Here's what it looks like:

honda1.jpg

A little further up is what I believe is the throttle linkage. This (I think) is what I need to detach somehow to get the lower end off:

honda2.jpg

I'm at work right now and won't look at it again 'till tomorrow, but can anyone offer any advice?

I sure could use some!

Thanks, Mike

Hey Mike,

You'll have to remove those additional for 4 bolts and the shift rod will have to come apart (like you thought it would). After that the entire lower end should come off without to many issues.

Here is a schematic... those 4 bolts might *not* have to come off after looking at the diagrams..

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Ou...9999/parts.html

Edited by BillM

Hey Mike,

You'll have to remove those additional for 4 bolts and the shift rod will have to come apart (like you thought it would). After that the entire lower end should come off without to many issues.

Here is a schematic... those 4 bolts might *not* have to come off after looking at the diagrams..

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Ou...9999/parts.html

Thanks for trying to help bud, I'm a little under the gun here. I've only got Wed before work and Fri morning to get this done and get it over to Mississauga for repair..(Thurs I'm taking the kids to Wonderland).

Won't have time Monday before leaving for Nakina..

Anyhow I'm not seeing any schematic. If I don't have to remove those linkage bolts how else would it come off?

Havn't done this yet but I'd guess popping it in reverse may give me more room to play with.

Are you sure you don't have time to swing by Grimsby?(If it helps sway your decision Port D is teeming with chrome kings. :D )

Edited by solopaddler

Let me email by buddy who works for the coast guard in Hamilton. He'd have this apart in about 5 mins, lol...

BTW, the link was to a list of all the parts in the engine. You gotta select one in order to see the exploded schematic (Extension Case would be what you'd most likely want)

Edited by BillM

Not hard at all, go to the link, then go to the bottom link "water pump" on the left you will see the shift rod, it has a cotter pin and another cross pin at the top at the shift linkage that needs to be removed. Then you should be able to pull the lower unit off.

Look at item #30 connecting pin and #15 shift rod. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Ou...PUMP/parts.html

That pin is under the engine hood, follow the shift linkage from the shifter, bit of a bugger to find.

Not hard at all, go to the link, then go to the bottom link "water pump" on the left you will see the shift rod, it has a cotter pin and another cross pin at the top at the shift linkage that needs to be removed. Then you should be able to pull the lower unit off.

Look at item #30 connecting pin and #15 shift rod. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Ou...PUMP/parts.html

That pin is under the engine hood, follow the shift linkage from the shifter, bit of a bugger to find.

Thank you sir! When you say it's a bit of a bugger to find, exactly how hard? LOL!

In any case if I'm successful in finding and removing the pins I'll have the lower end with a long shift rod attached to it?

Will it be hard you think to fish it back up through to re attach?

Thank you sir! When you say it's a bit of a bugger to find, exactly how hard? LOL!

In any case if I'm successful in finding and removing the pins I'll have the lower end with a long shift rod attached to it?

Will it be hard you think to fish it back up through to re attach?

Hard to find, imagine a 2-4 hangover with your glasses on backwards..not quite..just follow the shifter linkage from outside of the engine cover to the inside and where it changes direction downwards is where the pin is. The shift rod will remain attacted to the lower unit but it's not that hard to thread it back up the hole when putting everything back together. Good luck and don't overtighten the lower unit bolts.

Hard to find, imagine a 2-4 hangover with your glasses on backwards..not quite..just follow the shifter linkage from outside of the engine cover to the inside and where it changes direction downwards is where the pin is. The shift rod will remain attacted to the lower unit but it's not that hard to thread it back up the hole when putting everything back together. Good luck and don't overtighten the lower unit bolts.

Gotcha, thanks again!