Downrigging help

Bigworm

Hello,

I am new to downrigging. I've only been out 4 times. I haven't even had a rod fire yet. I see people catching fish but not me. Does anyone have any advice as to the depth I should be fishing at this time of year?

I have been running cut bait with spin doctors up until this point at 70ft in 90-120ft of water. Is it time for spoons? How much line should I be running from the clip?

If you're after a big guy then like what was stated -stay shallow for first light. Focus on the bottom and up 10-15 feet. Most often the shallower the water the closer to bottom the mature chinooks will be. Also try J plugs or Lymans. I feel these stir them up and provoke more of a reaction bite. When the sun gets higher head out to 180+ FOW and troll out deeper. August and September will have lots of smaller bows and salmon out chasing bait in these areas. It's also the area where the bigger ones will regroup if we get warm water pushed in with south winds.

For me it's been a spoon bite this year. Tend to see more on the long thin baits like Dreamweaver SS and smaller NK's. Watermelon, NBK, 42 second, are 3 I wouldn't go out without. Must be my luck but I've only hit 1 fish this year on the flasher fly combo.

Check out spoonpullers for a ton of rigging set up info and if you have a big enough boat with GPS, VHF do some research on the blue zone. That's were you'll find me when I'm out. Loads of rainbows and cohos to have fun with.

Edited by Fang