Baitcaster maintenance

Lunker777

Take the spool out, and using a q-tip clean the bearing with some lighter fluid. Then take ONE drop of good quality bearing lubricant (ie: hot sauce) and lubricate the bearing (s). Clean the shaft of the spool, re-assemble and your good to go.

I have a revo sx and in the box it comes with oil and a guide for cleaning them, if you still have it read it

Just read it.... its pretty vague... Do I have to unscrew the side plate I guess is all Im asking... and is there any small parts in there that I should worry about losing easily ?

if you are worried about loosing parts, while taking the reel apart, do it in a large ziplock. that way if anything pops off, it will pop right to the bottom of the bag.

I have never cleaned a Revo SX but I have done Abu 6500's, Calcutta's and a lot of spinning reels. If you are concerned with not remembering how to put all the pieces back together, take pictures of each step. every time you take a piece off, take a picture. It helps tremendously when putting it back together. Also, make sure you have a large work area and lay everything out in the order that they are taken off.

I have a lot of pics of my cleanings, if you want some, PM me and I can email them to you.

Mike

i clean my stuff w/ the green degreasing stuff at least once a year. also works great to clean cork handles on rods. i clean bearings w/ acetone or kerosene. you can spin your bearings on a pencil to dry them faster and see if you got all the gunk out or use pressurized canned air. dry it all off. remember how to put it back together. tip: lay it down on your towel in the order it came off and place it all right side up. don't over grease or oil. it doesn't help. it all flies off anyway. always always grease gears, oil bearings. have schematics handy. grease or oil all friction points. squeeze dry drag washers if they are greased and reapply.

good luck