4 stoke Evenrude

zman

Hey everyone

I woundering if anyone would have any advice for me , my kicker motor keeps stalling after a while and in order to keep it running I have to go back and pump the ball on the fuel line. any ideas on why this might be going on. the ball keeps going soft after a few minuets

The motor is a 2000

You say it's your kicker motor, is it attached to the same tank as the main motor? How about the one way valve in the ball is allowing the fuel to run back to the tank. There may also be a rubber "O" ring in the fuel line connectors at the tank and motor that might not be sealing 100%.

What you can try is switching the gas line from the kicker to the main motor. If your main motor does the same thing just means you need to replace the fuel line. You can get a complete fuel line with primer bulb for $35 at Canadian Tire Sea Sense makes it.

50052665.png

I'm pretty sure it's a differrent line that goes into the fuel tank because my 90 2 stoke has a line also

So maybe I'll just try replacing the kicker motor fuel line., I think it has a special little connector that attaches to the kicker motor though

it kinda locks in

Yes it is getting fuel from the same tank as the main motor

What do you mean about the one way valve in the ball ? how would I be able to check that ?

There is a one way valve at the entrance end of the fuel bulb, if there wasn't, you would never be able to pump the fuel up from the tank to the motor and get it to remain in the line. For checking it, pump the fuel bulb up on the kicker and then detach the line from the fuel tank, the fuel should not run out of the end of the hose. Hang the fuel line over the side of the boat and have a small can or similar receptacle to put the end of the hose in so if it does leak, you won't be spilling it on the ground. Another possibility is that the fuel pump on the motor could be weak or pooched.

I wouldn’t be too quick to run out and get a new line; you said that the engine will keep running, if to pump the primer. That tells me that fuel can get too and through it; my thinking is possibly a partly plugged fuel filter or a weak fuel pump, like fisherman said. You can create much more pressure when you’re pumping the bulb then what a “good” fuel pump can produce; so if the filters plugged you could be forcing the fuel through its restriction?

Also it’s not abnormal for a primer bulb to feel soft after the engine has ran for a bit; it’s on the suction side of the fuel pump; vacuum is a negative pressure.. Now if you said that the primer bulb was being sucked flat (collapsed) I would agree the check valve is sticking shut in the primer or there is a restriction somewhere between the tank and fuel pump.

So maybe check the filter first; by removing it, draining the fuel from it and then try blowing through it. It shouldn’t take a lot of effort; kind of like blowing through a folded up towel.

Hope that made sense?

Dan.

Does the engine smoke more when it starts to act up.

If so this means you are sucking in air.

I would tighten the fuel line connections.

One of the things I always do when a fuel bulb is involved.

is I strap the bulb to the boat in a vertical position with the

arrow pointing up.

Doing this will let the check valve work better.

If your fuel line is not ethanol friendly. theirs a good chance you fuel line

is rotten.