Passed up a deal on a cheap tin boat

NAW

I found a deal on a 14' aluminum boat (~1970’s), 15Hp Mariner (1986), and trailer. All for $850.

The boat was in need of a COMPLETE overhaul. It had several leaks, and required some structural work to make it a good solid boat again.

The trailer was solid, and only needed a good paint job and some bearing maintenance.

The motor was solid, starts first pull, and had great compression.

I already own a good 14' aluminum combo. I was thinking about buying this boat to fix up over the winter, and sell come summer time. At most, I think I could have got $1400 for the package if I fixed all the leaks in the boat.

I decided not to buy it because the all the work that had to be done on the boat. It would have take me weeks to fix up the boat, and lots of materials.

My question to fellow OFC'rs: Do you think there's any money in flipping boats?? (I'm not talking about yachts here, just small boats in the under $5000 range)

if you know what you're doing, and you are familiar with what different new/used packages/motors/boats are usually priced at, I don't see why not.

There are many people out there who knows nothing about boat maintenance and doesn't make any effort to learn about it even if they do own a boat. They might sell their boat/motor etc and lower the price because of minor problems, who knows, maybe you just needed to change the plugs for it.

Of course that's just my thoughts, never have any experience in doing that.

I aggree that the motor was the best part of the deal.

I offered to buy just the motor from him. He's going to sit on it for a week or two and get back to me if knowone wants to buy the whole package.

Last year I bought a similar package, 14' deep/wide aluminum, galvanized trailer w/new bearings, and a 15Hp motor (89 Merc w/dirty carb). That all costed me $800. I thought that was a great deal!

several weeks of work to turn a 850 boat into a 1400 boat? the headache of every cheap lowballer in your driveway already not worth it! if your going to turn 40% profit on a refit you have to start bigger - make 5000 on a 10000 boat you know what i mean? importing and exporting boats in and out of the us can make you some money, sometimes with very little work.

of course if its a hobby and you dont have to put a big premium on your time small boats might keep you busy and make a little cash. seems like there is no shortage of buyers for that size and price boat. ive tried some of this myself with boats and trailers a couple of times and i decided it wasn't worth it, better to put in a little overtime at the day job. you asked! good luck whatever you decide!