Motor problems

fishnsled

I was out on Saturday and noticed that my voltage reading was low. With the outboard running at trolling speed, 1 fishfinder, 1 GPS, and the livewell, I had a reading of 11.1-11.3 volts. Turn off the GPS, livewell, and it would go up to 11.6-11.7. Running wide open I would get a reading of 12.6 volts with the gps and fishfinder on. My gauge on the dash was reading low as well. So with the GPS, fishfinder, and in-dash gauge reading low I suspect that my alternator is going.

Is this and easy fix or should I take it in? Any ballpark prices on what this will cost? It's a 2002 Mercury 115. Thanks!

PS - After hooking a fish (report to come) I turned off the outboard and it didn't want to start, turned off the electronics and barely got it to go. It's a brand new battery this year as well.

You have to remember at trolling speed running all those electronics and accessories your motor will not keep your battery up. Running at low idle won't give you full charge. Trolling days in a row,and running all that stuff has put stress on that battery. You may have to put a good charge on it, at 2 amp NOT 10 amp. The magneto on your outboard is not like your alternator on your car. I run into the same thing Running 4 elect down riggers, VHF, depth finder, plus power trim, and starting. It's only a starting battery.

I really thuink the GPS and Fish finder are not the power hogs, my GPS takes less than 1 amp and Fish Finder on 1.0 amp even with the light on. The livewell will probably take about 3 amps or a bit more. At idle my motor will show about 13.2 volts, anything above idle it goes to about 13.8. I'm suspecting a weak battery, if it's a maintenance type battery, have you checked the fluid level? Like F/F said, get a charger on the battery for 24 hours with nothing connected, then wait 12 hours or so and check the voltage reading, if it's below 12.6 volts, it's on the way out, 12.3 is only 50% and anything below that, you're off to the battery store.

Fish Farmer - Never had a problem with the electronics before, could go all season and never have to charge the battery. If memory serves me correctly I was reading 14.1 volts on the electronics before, but the memory ain't what it use to be. lol! (And yes magneto not alternator, like I said the memory ain't like it use to be!) :D

Fisherman - Then battery is new this spring and is a maintenance free one. I'll check the levels tonight and give it a charge to see what it's doing. Maybe a bad battery, if so it will be under warrenty. ;)

Thanks for the tips guys.

I know when I had this issue.... almost the exact same thing you describe... I left the key in the ignition over night in the run position... turns out it drains the battery!....

LIVE AND LEARN!

G

LOL G. I came out to hear the livewell pump going one time. Yep, LIVE AND LEARN. :wallbash:

If it was charging at 14.1 volts?

I would have to say the regulator is shot.

You shouldn't be charging more then 13.7.

When your charging system is over charging. It will not take long

to pooch the battery.

A over charge will put to much amperage into the battery, causing it to

over heat and warping the plates.

Once this happens the battery can no long hold a suitable charge.

you have a charging problem, take it in unless your comfortable changing it yourself

a fully charged battery has 12.6-12.8 volts (around 2.1volts per cell) you require 2.2-2.4 volts per cell to charge that gives you a charge rate of 13.2-14.2 volts.

on my 150hp idling everything on 2 fish finders a flasher gps charge rate is 13.1-13.2 off idle 1500 rpm and up 14.1vt

Edited by ecmilley