trilene xt

fishinguypat

If it is rivers that you are talking about it really depends on the river and what kind of rod you are using. I have only rarely had a breakoff using 8lb Raven mainline while fishing for salmon, but I only fish in rivers that are wide open and where you can let a fish run. If I was fishing a spot with lots of undergrowth and buried debris I would want heavier line for sure....

I also change my line twice a year or reverse (reel holds 280yds of 8lb raven)it on the spool and make sure before I go out that doesn't break using a snap test that hasn't failed me yet. If the line is suspect I grab another spool the benefit of having 7 spools that fit 3 reels LOL.

trilene XT 8lb has a diameter of .012", my siglon 12lb has a diameter of .011"

so i think it'll break off at a minimum of 12lb (just for your own reference).

just put your boots into those fish and see what happens...if you're constantly breaking off..go higher on the leader, until your main line starts breaking off.hahaa

but i think 12lb is more than enough.

I've used 6lb and 8lb Trilene XT for pier fishing for years, plenty adequate, just make sure you have plenty of yardage. In fact the breaking strength for Trilene XT is under rated.

You got that right!!!... XT is some tuff stuff!!!... did I mention I LOVE the XT? :wub:

... and I've fished it on spinning reels for year with no problems!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: