walleye?

redneck666

Walleyes move more than most species depending on weather conditions, forage, and seasonal patterns. They feed all day, but feed more extensively on most bodies of water in low light as they can still see whereas their forage, like perch, cannot see well in low light. Generally, the farther light penetrates into the water the deeper the fish will be. Things like cloud cover, wave action, rain, weed cover, structure, shade, and water clarity affect light penetration. Walleyes can be as shallow as 6" and as deep as 80', although they will typically be where the forage fish are and stay within oxygenated areas of the lake. The primary thing to remember when fishing walleyes is you can't catch them if they aren't there. I know, sounds dumb, but the point is, all successful walleye fishermen have a common trait. If it isn't working they move or try another technique. Many fishermen, in fact most, aren't successful for any other reason than they are too lazy to re-rig and/move. If you do this you will eventually be successful, and you need to keep a log so you can begin to build a correlation between conditions,techinique, and result. Generally, jigging will work year round, spinners and cranks more after the water gets into the mid 50's F range. Slip bobbers is a great technigue as well, but has specialized applications. In other words cold water go slow, speed up as water warms. In general smaller presentations in the spring, bigger in the fall. In general, bright colors in stained water, more natural colors in clear water. Things walleye love: current, forage, cover, edges. Good luck.

You know, I think I'd like to fish with you some time! I think we both have the same ideas and it would be a blast to work with someone like you especially when the catching is tough!

If you ever want to take a trip North for a few days..... I have accomodations, boat, and love to fish? All you need to do is get here. Interested?

Guest steel'n'esox

Fish were the food is, on deep clear lakes its likely deeper, on weedy shallower lakes, walleyes can be both deeper and also shallower, right in the slop with the Bass, as light will not penetrate the weed canopy as it will on a weed edge, at low light periods I would also look at the weed edge for the best bite of the day. Fished Rice last weekend throwing white spinnerbaits for whatever wants to bite, ended with 6 walleyes and no Bass in 4 to 6 feet of water

Well most of my 'eye fishin will be in the st. mary's river right off a few piers at the soo locks, where there's some fast current. From what i hear the guys there are doing good with 4-5 pounders, using twister tails. However i will be taking a trip up north between whiteriver and wawa at the end of the month for some pike and walleye. Maybe smallies too.

If you want to catch a nice Wall-ice... fish for Musky of Poike!!!... if you want to catch a nice Musky or Poike, fish for Wall-ice!!!

ohhhh, so thats how it works eh? hahaha, i can actually say that when im fishing for "poike" i usually do catch a "wall-ice" or 2 and when im fishing for "wall-ice" i catch a nice pike or 2

Another productive technique,I started using on Northern shield lakes is planner boards, snap weights and harnesses or cranks. Trolling for suspended fish over deep water especially if there is a good chop on the water. It's much the same as the boys use on Lake Erie,this technique works good during mid-day periods and at this time of year, August always seems to be the best when going for suspended walleye, taught a few locals how well this worked on Lake Temiscaming, they seem to think the eyes don't eat in August hahahaha.